IDG News Service - Once Google cornered the bulk of the search market, many search marketers stopped optimizing their sites for other engines, but that could change when the Bing-Yahoo integration happens, experts speaking at Search Marketing Expo said.
Using current search-market-share statistics, once Microsoft's Bing search technology starts generating results for Yahoo, Bing will account for about 30% of the search market, he said.
"That's nothing to sneeze at," said Janet Driscoll Miller, president and CEO of SearchMojo, speaking at the event on Monday in Seattle. "It's going to be a two-engine world in the future, where you'll have Bing and Google to worry about as SEOs [search engine optimizers]."
She said that some basic optimization techniques work the same for Bing and Google, but Bing has a few new opportunities for search marketers.
For instance, search marketers should make sure to have indexable content if their site uses Flash because otherwise neither Bing nor Google will display any metadata about the site in search results.
But Bing has a couple of unique features that marketers can take advantage of. For instance, on Bing, when users roll over results, a preview box pops up offering more information about the Web site. Site marketers have some control over what pops up there, she said.
Bing will display the H1 tag -- an HTML element -- in the preview box if it doesn't match the title tag. So to control the headline in the preview box, a search marketer can simply make sure that the title tag and H1 tags are different, and then include the wording of choice in the H1 tag, she said.
Bing then displays the first paragraph of text on the page, she said. It will also display contact information for the site if an address and phone number appear on the page. "Bing is really good at understanding what are addresses, phone and e-mails," she said.
The preview box will also display YouTube videos embedded in the site and will play the video in the preview box, she said. "It's a compelling reason to put videos on YouTube," she said. Only YouTube videos -- not Bing videos or any others -- will display and play in the preview panel, she noted.
Marketers can also shut off the preview by embedding a metatag on their pages, she said.
Bing has another unique feature that could turn into an opportunity for search marketers. On some search results people may see buttons that let them share a result on Facebook, Twitter or via e-mail. For instance, a search for "polar bears" reveals images that a user can share.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts