IDG News Service - Once Google cornered the bulk of the search market, many search marketers stopped optimizing their sites for other engines, but that could change when the Bing-Yahoo integration happens, experts speaking at Search Marketing Expo said.
Using current search-market-share statistics, once Microsoft's Bing search technology starts generating results for Yahoo, Bing will account for about 30% of the search market, he said.
"That's nothing to sneeze at," said Janet Driscoll Miller, president and CEO of SearchMojo, speaking at the event on Monday in Seattle. "It's going to be a two-engine world in the future, where you'll have Bing and Google to worry about as SEOs [search engine optimizers]."
She said that some basic optimization techniques work the same for Bing and Google, but Bing has a few new opportunities for search marketers.
For instance, search marketers should make sure to have indexable content if their site uses Flash because otherwise neither Bing nor Google will display any metadata about the site in search results.
But Bing has a couple of unique features that marketers can take advantage of. For instance, on Bing, when users roll over results, a preview box pops up offering more information about the Web site. Site marketers have some control over what pops up there, she said.
Bing will display the H1 tag -- an HTML element -- in the preview box if it doesn't match the title tag. So to control the headline in the preview box, a search marketer can simply make sure that the title tag and H1 tags are different, and then include the wording of choice in the H1 tag, she said.
Bing then displays the first paragraph of text on the page, she said. It will also display contact information for the site if an address and phone number appear on the page. "Bing is really good at understanding what are addresses, phone and e-mails," she said.
The preview box will also display YouTube videos embedded in the site and will play the video in the preview box, she said. "It's a compelling reason to put videos on YouTube," she said. Only YouTube videos -- not Bing videos or any others -- will display and play in the preview panel, she noted.
Marketers can also shut off the preview by embedding a metatag on their pages, she said.
Bing has another unique feature that could turn into an opportunity for search marketers. On some search results people may see buttons that let them share a result on Facebook, Twitter or via e-mail. For instance, a search for "polar bears" reveals images that a user can share.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts