IDG News Service - HTC acquired a French company that makes software used by operators and phone makers to design mobile phone home screens.
HTC did not disclose the purchase price for Abaxia, the Paris-based company whose software has been deployed on more than 25 million phones and 60 different handset models.
Abaxia’s software lets an operator offer a consistent home screen across all handsets that it offers. That can be important as operators try to market specific services or applications. The software is also used by mobile phone makers to design home screens.
Abaxia customers include Vodafone, Orange, Nokia, Motorola, Samsung and Sony Ericsson. In a statement, HTC did not say if it would continue to offer Abaxia products to competitive phone makers.
While HTC started out as a contract phone maker, it is making more phones under its own brand. In addition, with Android, it has built its own user interface to distinguish its phones from others using the operating system. The Abaxia technology could contribute to those efforts.
If HTC acquires important patents from Abaxia, it could also gain leverage in its ongoing legal battle with Apple. Earlier this year Apple filed patent infringement suits against HTC, charging it in part with infringing patents related to the iPhone’s user interface. Additional patents could potentially help HTC negotiate during the dispute.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Mitigate Risk and Accelerate Time to Value Download this white paper to learn how your IT organization can accelerate business, introduce new services, and reach new markets, all while staying...
- Allay Risks in Application Rationalization and Modernization IT has to do it all: react quickly to market needs, introduce new services, capitalize on mobile, and comply with regulatory requirements, all...
- Delivering Application Data On-Demand Packaged app dev teams frequently operate with limited testing environments due to various constraints. By virtualizing the entire application stack, Delphix-powered teams can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Applications White Papers | Webcasts