IDG News Service - HTC acquired a French company that makes software used by operators and phone makers to design mobile phone home screens.
HTC did not disclose the purchase price for Abaxia, the Paris-based company whose software has been deployed on more than 25 million phones and 60 different handset models.
Abaxia’s software lets an operator offer a consistent home screen across all handsets that it offers. That can be important as operators try to market specific services or applications. The software is also used by mobile phone makers to design home screens.
Abaxia customers include Vodafone, Orange, Nokia, Motorola, Samsung and Sony Ericsson. In a statement, HTC did not say if it would continue to offer Abaxia products to competitive phone makers.
While HTC started out as a contract phone maker, it is making more phones under its own brand. In addition, with Android, it has built its own user interface to distinguish its phones from others using the operating system. The Abaxia technology could contribute to those efforts.
If HTC acquires important patents from Abaxia, it could also gain leverage in its ongoing legal battle with Apple. Earlier this year Apple filed patent infringement suits against HTC, charging it in part with infringing patents related to the iPhone’s user interface. Additional patents could potentially help HTC negotiate during the dispute.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts