IDG News Service - HTC acquired a French company that makes software used by operators and phone makers to design mobile phone home screens.
HTC did not disclose the purchase price for Abaxia, the Paris-based company whose software has been deployed on more than 25 million phones and 60 different handset models.
Abaxia’s software lets an operator offer a consistent home screen across all handsets that it offers. That can be important as operators try to market specific services or applications. The software is also used by mobile phone makers to design home screens.
Abaxia customers include Vodafone, Orange, Nokia, Motorola, Samsung and Sony Ericsson. In a statement, HTC did not say if it would continue to offer Abaxia products to competitive phone makers.
While HTC started out as a contract phone maker, it is making more phones under its own brand. In addition, with Android, it has built its own user interface to distinguish its phones from others using the operating system. The Abaxia technology could contribute to those efforts.
If HTC acquires important patents from Abaxia, it could also gain leverage in its ongoing legal battle with Apple. Earlier this year Apple filed patent infringement suits against HTC, charging it in part with infringing patents related to the iPhone’s user interface. Additional patents could potentially help HTC negotiate during the dispute.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts