Chrome browser exits beta stage for Mac, Linux for the first time
IDG News Service - Google has removed the beta label from the latest version of its Chrome browser, marking the first time a "stable release" is available for the Linux and Mac OS platforms, not just Windows.
Google promises that the Mac OS version will provide "a seamless native Mac application experience," while describing the Linux version as a "solid, high-performance, fully-featured, all-purpose browser."
The announcement, made Tuesday, comes three weeks after the release of the latest beta update, which featured a performance improvement Google characterized as significant, making that version -- 5.0.375.29 -- the fastest yet.
In addition to the performance boost, Google also added the ability for users to replicate browser preferences across different machines via their Google accounts. This saves users from manually applying preferences to Chrome in each PC.
Other improvements in this Chrome release include the adoption of HTML5 capabilities, like geolocation APIs (application programming interfaces), application caching and drag-and-drop capabilities.
One feature that didn't graduate from the beta to the stable version on Tuesday was the integration of Adobe Systems' Flash player plug-in into the browser, something Google plans to include once the final 10.1 version of the Flash player is released.
Launched in September 2008, Chrome ranked third last month in usage market share with a 6.7% slice of the pie, according to Net Applications. That put it ahead of Apple's Safari, which had a 4.7% share, and behind market leader Internet Explorer (59.9%) and Firefox (24.6%).
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!