IDG News Service - The Privacy Commissioner of Canada has started an investigation into Google's collection of data from unsecured wireless networks, the office said in a statement on Tuesday.
Data protection authorities in France, Italy and Germany are already investigating Google's Street View service, after the company said last month that its camera cars mistakenly collected data from unencrypted Wi-Fi networks while compiling images of city streets for its Google Maps site.
The company had said in April that it had collected only the Wi-Fi network names and MAC (media access control) addresses, but not data from unencrypted Wi-Fi connections. The data helps it locate users of its mobile services when they connect over a Wi-Fi network.
Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the investigation in Canada.
Expressing concern about the privacy implications of Google's confirmation that it had been capturing Wi-Fi data in neighborhoods across Canada and around the world over the past several years, the statement also quoted Privacy Commissioner Jennifer Stoddart as saying that her office had a number of questions about how this collection could have happened and about its impact on people's privacy.
Rapidly growing location-based online services are raising new risks for privacy, as the incident involving Google shows, according to Assistant Privacy Commissioner Elizabeth Denham.
Denham expects the investigation will promote better handling of personal information among other organizations involved in the collection of Wi-Fi data for the purpose of facilitating the delivery of location-based services.
The office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada has asked Google to retain the data it collected in Canada. The Privacy Commissioner of Canada is mandated by the country's Parliament to act as an ombudsman, advocate and guardian of privacy and the protection of personal information rights of Canadians.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content
- Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Securing Mobility, From Device to Network
- At one time, the process of managing and securing mobile devices and applications was fairly straightforward. Most organizations worried about one application (email)...
- Planning for Mobile Success
- Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- The Challenges and Opportunities of Mobile Application Development
- Nearly all business users now demand mobile devices--their own or company-owned--along with anywhere access to corporate applications and data. What turns mobile devices... All Government IT White Papers
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- All Government IT Webcasts