IDG News Service - Via Technologies showed off a working prototype of its dual-core x86 processor, the Nano DC, at the Computex exhibition in Taiwan.
Via demonstrated the prototype chip in a system that was playing a high-definition video. The processor runs at a clock speed of 1.6GHz and was manufactured using a 65-nanometer process, said C.J. Holthaus, a member of Via's Centaur processor design team.
The dual-core Nano has been in the works for some time. The Nano was originally expected to hit the market in 2009, but that was pushed back. Now, Via is finally ready to bring the chip to market.
"It'll be a product in about six months. This is mainly a technology demonstration," Holthaus said.
The commercial version of the processor won't be made using a 65-nanometer process, Holthaus said, declining to say what manufacturing process would be used other than to describe it as a "next-generation" technology.
Via had high hopes for the Nano when it announced it in 2008. Via has since sold the chips to several top PC vendors, including Lenovo and Samsung, but it hasn't dramatically changed the company's market share -- a distant third place behind Intel and Advanced Micro Devices.
That hasn't shaken Via's confidence in the product itself, though. "It's really good performance," Holthaus said, comparing it to low-power versions of Intel's Core 2 Duo processors.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!