IDG News Service - Matias Duarte, formerly vice president of human interface and user experience at Palm, has left to take a job with Google, marking one of the first defections since Hewlett-Packard announced plans to buy the struggling phone maker.
Duarte will serve as user experience director for Android, Google said.
Prior to Palm, Duarte worked for Helio, a mobile virtual network operator, and before that Danger. Danger's co-founder, Andy Rubin, now heads development of Android for Google.
While Palm's WebOS phones have struggled to gain a foothold in the competitive smartphone market, the UI has been widely praised.
In April, HP announced plans to acquire Palm for $1.2 billion. HP said it planned to invest heavily in product development and marketing initiatives and that it would use WebOS to power tablet computers.
At the time of the acquisition, HP praised the WebOS UI, saying that it "delivers incredible experience for true multitasking," according to Todd Bradley, vice president of HP's personal systems group. The company also said it was excited to acquire Palm's team of engineering talent with strong leaders.
Palm's CEO, Jon Rubinstein, agreed to stay on with HP, but at the time of the acquisition announcement HP declined to say if he'd signed an agreement to stay for a particular period of time.
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.