IDG News Service - Matias Duarte, formerly vice president of human interface and user experience at Palm, has left to take a job with Google, marking one of the first defections since Hewlett-Packard announced plans to buy the struggling phone maker.
Duarte will serve as user experience director for Android, Google said.
Prior to Palm, Duarte worked for Helio, a mobile virtual network operator, and before that Danger. Danger's co-founder, Andy Rubin, now heads development of Android for Google.
While Palm's WebOS phones have struggled to gain a foothold in the competitive smartphone market, the UI has been widely praised.
In April, HP announced plans to acquire Palm for $1.2 billion. HP said it planned to invest heavily in product development and marketing initiatives and that it would use WebOS to power tablet computers.
At the time of the acquisition, HP praised the WebOS UI, saying that it "delivers incredible experience for true multitasking," according to Todd Bradley, vice president of HP's personal systems group. The company also said it was excited to acquire Palm's team of engineering talent with strong leaders.
Palm's CEO, Jon Rubinstein, agreed to stay on with HP, but at the time of the acquisition announcement HP declined to say if he'd signed an agreement to stay for a particular period of time.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- SDCRAA Case Study: Adapting ERP to business needs This case study goes in depth about San Diego County Regional Airport Authority's created flexibility for a changing industry.
- Cybersecurity Imperatives Reinvent Your Network Security With Palo Alto Networks The Rise of CyberSecurity
- 10 Things Your Next Firewall Must do Next-Generation Firewalls Defined
- Firewall Buyers Guide Operate as the core of your network security infrastructure
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts