Mozilla sidesteps iPhone ban on rival browsers
Slates June App Store submission for tool that syncs Firefox bookmarks, tabs to iPhone
Computerworld - Mozilla Corp. plans to submit a Firefox application to Apple Inc.'s iPhone App Store next month, but it won't be a full-fledged Firefox browser, the company said Wednesday.
Instead, Mozilla will ask Apple to approve Firefox Home, a spin-off of the bookmark and tab synchronization technology it currently offers as an add-on to the Firefox desktop browser.
Mozilla will submit the free application to the App Store within the next three weeks. "However, we have no way of telling if or when it will be approved and available for download," said Ragavan Srinivasan, a product manager at Mozilla, in an entry on the company's blog.
Firefox Home will give users access to their browser bookmarks and history, as well as to the open tabs from their most recent Firefox sessions. The iPhone application will also include technology from Firefox's "Awesome Bar" -- the name Mozilla gave to the revamped address bar in Firefox 3.0 -- that lets users search for previously-visited pages using keywords or characters in either the URL or the page title.
Mozilla's application offers only one-way sync -- from Firefox on the desktop to the iPhone, but not the reverse.
Firefox Home is one way for Mozilla to dodge Apple's ban of rival browsers on its iPhone smartphone and iPad tablet.
"For devices or platforms where we're unable to provide the 'full' Firefox browser (either technically or due to policy), we aim to provide users with 'on the go' instant access to their personal Firefox history, bookmarks and open tabs on their iPhones, giving them another reason to keep loving Firefox on their desktops," said Srinivasan.
Mozilla has been a vocal critic of Apple's ban of rival browsers. Last year, the company backed a request by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) for an exemption to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) that would allow iPhone owners to "jailbreak" their phones without fear of copyright infringement penalties. At the same time, Mozilla's CEO said his company would not develop a version of Firefox for the iPhone.
Elsewhere on its site, Mozilla said it has no plans to create a Firefox Sync plug-in for Safari on the iPhone that would allow iPhone-to-Firefox synchronization, giving users round-trip sync.
Because Apple prohibits competing browsers on the iPhone, Firefox Home will be "read-only," and will rely on the smartphone's native Safari browser to actually render pages.
Norwegian browser maker Opera Software ASA is the only major Safari rival to have built and submitted software to the App Store. Apple approved that offering, Opera Mini, in mid-April.
Like Firefox Home, Opera Mini sidestepped Apple's browser ban, but it did so in a different way. Rather than connect to Web sites directly, Opera Mini pulls compressed pages from Opera's own servers, a tactic that the company claims results in page download and rendering speeds that are six times faster than those of the iPhone's Safari.
Firefox Home will work on iPhones and iPod Touches, and on Apple's iPad media tablet in iPhone mode.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Workarounds to purge search bar from Firefox's new tab page are available
- Mozilla ships Firefox 31, adds search to new tab page
- Microsoft's IE steps back from the brink of irrelevance
- Firefox falters, falls to record low in overall browser share
- Firefox risks user backlash by adding search box to new tab page
- Google unseats Microsoft as the U.S. browser powerhouse
- Safari, Chrome push to mask URLs
- Chrome on Windows champs at the 64-bit
- Google pulls trigger, cripples some Chrome add-ons
- Microsoft shoots to shorten Internet Explorer's long tail
Read more about App Development in Computerworld's App Development Topic Center.
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- Live Webcast How to serve up a Grand Slam with a scalable IT Infrastructure for cloud, big data and advanced analytics Register today to attend this webcast, and see examples of how The U.S. Tennis Association, Wimbledon and U.S. Golf Association are using the...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Topic Center White Papers | Webcasts