Oracle edges further into RFID territory
The company announced Sensor-Based Services tool kits and connectors
Computerworld - Oracle Corp. is looking to make it easier and cheaper for companies to reap the benefits of integrating radio frequency identification and other sensor-based technology in their supply chains and for other operations with Oracle-optimized products.
In a move timed to coincide with the RFID Journal Live conference in Chicago today, the company announced its Sensor-Based Services tool kits and connectors. The tools and enhancements are designed to enable users to capture, manage, analyze and respond to RFID data.
The software is optimized to work with Oracle's next-generation 10g database and application server as well its 11i E-Business Suite. Oracle has already announced that the next version of its Warehouse Management will be RFID-enabled to boost inventory control.
There is a lot of attention on RFID, and companies trying to comply with RFID mandates from customers such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc. are being forced to spend money on middleware and consultants, said Allyson Fryhoff, vice president of Oracle Sensor-Based Services. Rather than do that, Oracle aims to enable its users to become RFID-ready by using their existing investments in its technology.
The two products announced today include a quickly deployable Compliance Package, which has adapters to support specific processes for specific customers for operations such as advanced shipping notification, she said.
For companies that want to explore RFID, Oracle is also rolling out an RFID Pilot Kit for prototype testing. It comes with the necessary drivers and reporting and business intelligence capabilities so companies can see into and analyze their business processes using the technology, Fryhoff said.
Both products are expected to ship this summer with the next version of the Oracle 10g family.
Read more about ERP in Computerworld's ERP Topic Center.
- Whitepaper: The Continuous Innovation Advantage of SaaS This report defines the next generation system of record, outlining the changes and challenges with current technology and how continuous innovation has become...
- Forrester Report: The ROI of Software as a Service Read Forrester's review of 11 vendors in SaaS enterprise resource planning (ERP), customer relationship management (CRM), and supply chain management (SCM).
- Whitepaper: Redefining Enterprise Software Whitepaper In this whitepaper you will learn what changes are impacting business and human capital management today and how the HR department and its...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All ERP White Papers | Webcasts