IDG News Service - Shipments of laptops rose by 43.4% in the first three months of 2010, compared to the same period last year, according to Gartner Inc. The researcher cited a 71% increase in netbook sales, which it said shouldn't be affected by the arrival of Apple's iPad and other tablets.
The year-over-year growth was the highest the laptop market has seen in the last eight years, Gartner said, and buyers spent about $36 billion.
A total of 49.4 million PCs were shipped worldwide in the first quarter of 2010. About 20% of those were netbooks, which made up about 13% of PC sales in the first quarter of 2009, according to Ranjit Atwal, principal analyst at Gartner.
Gartner does not include sales of tablet devices like the iPad in its laptop sales figures, as they are not a replacement for traditional laptops and netbooks. Netbooks still have a number of differentiators compared to tablets, including price, according to Atwal. However, as the price of tablets drop that will change, he said. The top downloaded applications for tablets will say a lot about how these devices could displace some laptop sales in the future, Gartner said.
Still, the netbook sales growth has slowed in some regions, thanks to aggressive price cuts of regular notebooks and consumers beginning to understand the limitations of the form factor, according to Gartner.
The increasing sales of netbooks also helped lower the average sales price, which dropped from $868 to $732. But as enterprises start buying more that sum is expected to stabilize, Gartner said.
Hewlett-Packard may still ships the largest number of laptops, but its competitors grew faster during the first quarter, according to Gartner.
HP's sales grew by about 23.2%, compared to 48.4% and 33.1%, respectively, for Acer and Dell in second and third place.
Asus recorded the biggest improvement, as it saw sales rose by 113%. But the company still ended up if fifth place, eclipsed by Toshiba.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts