OCZ introduces 400GB, 480GB SSDs
Vertex 2 and Agility 2 come with Windows 7 TRIM support
Computerworld - OCZ Technology Group, Inc. today introduced two higher capacity versions of its Vertex 2 and Agility 2 SATA II 2.5-in solid state drives SSD today.
The new drives now have a maximum capacity of 400GB and 480GB, expanding on the Vertex 2 and Agility 2 50GB, 100GB, 200GB models announced last month.
OCZ said the new higher capacity Vertex 2 and Agility 2 SSDs now offer the capacity its customers were asking for.
The Vertex 2 has a manufacturer's suggested retail price of about $1,780 for the 400GB model and $1,800 for the 480GB model and the Agility 2 sells for about $1,670 and $1,700, respectively.
Both Vertex 2 and Agility 2 400GB editions feature 250MB/sec. read and 240MB/sec. write speeds, with higher 4k random writes up to 22,500 IOPS on the Vertex 2, OCZ said. That's only slightly slower than the lower-capacity Vertex and Agility drives, which offer 285MB/sec. and 275MB/sec. write speeds.
The new drives are aimed at desktop and mobile platforms and feature TRIM support for Windows 7 systems, which allows an operating system to tell a solid-state drive which data blocks are no longer in use so that it will not waste time attempting to access them.
The Vertex 2 and Agility 2 Series comes with a three-year warranty.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Storage Hardware in Computerworld's Storage Hardware Topic Center.
- Top Five Reasons Why Customers Deploy a Flash 1st Strategy on EMC VNX Storage Read why with a FLASH 1st strategy, customers don't need to compromise between performance and TCO.
- Analyst: EMC's FLASH 1st Strategy Gain insight from analyst ESG on Flash storage and how the logic and value behind EMC's strategy for Flash.
- IBM FlashSystem At-a-Glance The IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution accelerates applications with enterprise-class advanced storage capabilities for less than the cost of disk.
- Top Reasons for Upgrading to Emulex Gen 5 Fibre Channel HBAs With Gen 5 Fibre Channel HBAs you can run more virtual machines and applications per server, cut your HBA installation and management time...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts