OCZ introduces 400GB, 480GB SSDs
Vertex 2 and Agility 2 come with Windows 7 TRIM support
Computerworld - OCZ Technology Group, Inc. today introduced two higher capacity versions of its Vertex 2 and Agility 2 SATA II 2.5-in solid state drives SSD today.
The new drives now have a maximum capacity of 400GB and 480GB, expanding on the Vertex 2 and Agility 2 50GB, 100GB, 200GB models announced last month.
OCZ said the new higher capacity Vertex 2 and Agility 2 SSDs now offer the capacity its customers were asking for.
The Vertex 2 has a manufacturer's suggested retail price of about $1,780 for the 400GB model and $1,800 for the 480GB model and the Agility 2 sells for about $1,670 and $1,700, respectively.
Both Vertex 2 and Agility 2 400GB editions feature 250MB/sec. read and 240MB/sec. write speeds, with higher 4k random writes up to 22,500 IOPS on the Vertex 2, OCZ said. That's only slightly slower than the lower-capacity Vertex and Agility drives, which offer 285MB/sec. and 275MB/sec. write speeds.
The new drives are aimed at desktop and mobile platforms and feature TRIM support for Windows 7 systems, which allows an operating system to tell a solid-state drive which data blocks are no longer in use so that it will not waste time attempting to access them.
The Vertex 2 and Agility 2 Series comes with a three-year warranty.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Storage Hardware in Computerworld's Storage Hardware Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts