OCZ introduces 400GB, 480GB SSDs
Vertex 2 and Agility 2 come with Windows 7 TRIM support
Computerworld - OCZ Technology Group, Inc. today introduced two higher capacity versions of its Vertex 2 and Agility 2 SATA II 2.5-in solid state drives SSD today.
The new drives now have a maximum capacity of 400GB and 480GB, expanding on the Vertex 2 and Agility 2 50GB, 100GB, 200GB models announced last month.
OCZ said the new higher capacity Vertex 2 and Agility 2 SSDs now offer the capacity its customers were asking for.
The Vertex 2 has a manufacturer's suggested retail price of about $1,780 for the 400GB model and $1,800 for the 480GB model and the Agility 2 sells for about $1,670 and $1,700, respectively.
Both Vertex 2 and Agility 2 400GB editions feature 250MB/sec. read and 240MB/sec. write speeds, with higher 4k random writes up to 22,500 IOPS on the Vertex 2, OCZ said. That's only slightly slower than the lower-capacity Vertex and Agility drives, which offer 285MB/sec. and 275MB/sec. write speeds.
The new drives are aimed at desktop and mobile platforms and feature TRIM support for Windows 7 systems, which allows an operating system to tell a solid-state drive which data blocks are no longer in use so that it will not waste time attempting to access them.
The Vertex 2 and Agility 2 Series comes with a three-year warranty.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Storage Hardware in Computerworld's Storage Hardware Topic Center.
- Top Five Reasons Why Customers Deploy a Flash 1st Strategy on EMC VNX Storage Read why with a FLASH 1st strategy, customers don't need to compromise between performance and TCO.
- Analyst: EMC's FLASH 1st Strategy Gain insight from analyst ESG on Flash storage and how the logic and value behind EMC's strategy for Flash.
- Addressing the Broken State of Backup with a New Category of Disk-Based Backup Solutions Today, IT organizations are faced with a number of challenges when managing backup processes, including the need for faster backup, restore, tape copy,...
- Optimizing Approaches to Enterprise Backup and Recovery IT organizations are faced with ensuring that backups occur in the shortest amount of time and are not operationally disruptive as well as...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts