Google gives users a permanent gift -- free Pac-Man
After 'overwhelming' user response to Pac-Man doodle last week, Google makes it a permanent feature
Computerworld - Were you one of the many people happily playing free Pac-Man on Google's doodle last Friday?
Well, if you were, you're going to be happy to learn that Google has decided to make the Pac-Man games available without charge to users -- permanently.
Last Friday and Saturday, Google had celebrated the 30th anniversary of the Pac-Man's video game by making the first-ever playable Google doodle available to users on the Google landing page.
Google's Pac-Man gobbled $120 million in productivity
"We've been overwhelmed -- but not surprised :) -- by the success of our 30th anniversary PAC-MAN doodle," wrote Marissa Mayer, Google's vice president of search products and user experience, in a blog post. "Due to popular demand, we're making the game permanently available."
Twitter users are joking about the blow that Google's free Pac-Man game will bring to office productivity -- on top of the consternation it gave some Firefox users last week.
"Right on. Google gives the gift of Pac-Man forever," wrote Seimyou.
And TheresaLM wrote, "google/pacman is awesome!"
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Internet in Computerworld's Internet Topic Center.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!