Google gives users a permanent gift -- free Pac-Man
After 'overwhelming' user response to Pac-Man doodle last week, Google makes it a permanent feature
Computerworld - Were you one of the many people happily playing free Pac-Man on Google's doodle last Friday?
Well, if you were, you're going to be happy to learn that Google has decided to make the Pac-Man games available without charge to users -- permanently.
Last Friday and Saturday, Google had celebrated the 30th anniversary of the Pac-Man's video game by making the first-ever playable Google doodle available to users on the Google landing page.
Google's Pac-Man gobbled $120 million in productivity
"We've been overwhelmed -- but not surprised :) -- by the success of our 30th anniversary PAC-MAN doodle," wrote Marissa Mayer, Google's vice president of search products and user experience, in a blog post. "Due to popular demand, we're making the game permanently available."
Twitter users are joking about the blow that Google's free Pac-Man game will bring to office productivity -- on top of the consternation it gave some Firefox users last week.
"Right on. Google gives the gift of Pac-Man forever," wrote Seimyou.
And TheresaLM wrote, "google/pacman is awesome!"
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Internet in Computerworld's Internet Topic Center.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!