Google gives users a permanent gift -- free Pac-Man
After 'overwhelming' user response to Pac-Man doodle last week, Google makes it a permanent feature
Computerworld - Were you one of the many people happily playing free Pac-Man on Google's doodle last Friday?
Well, if you were, you're going to be happy to learn that Google has decided to make the Pac-Man games available without charge to users -- permanently.
Last Friday and Saturday, Google had celebrated the 30th anniversary of the Pac-Man's video game by making the first-ever playable Google doodle available to users on the Google landing page.
Google's Pac-Man gobbled $120 million in productivity
"We've been overwhelmed -- but not surprised :) -- by the success of our 30th anniversary PAC-MAN doodle," wrote Marissa Mayer, Google's vice president of search products and user experience, in a blog post. "Due to popular demand, we're making the game permanently available."
Twitter users are joking about the blow that Google's free Pac-Man game will bring to office productivity -- on top of the consternation it gave some Firefox users last week.
"Right on. Google gives the gift of Pac-Man forever," wrote Seimyou.
And TheresaLM wrote, "google/pacman is awesome!"
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Internet in Computerworld's Internet Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts