Network World - Information about Microsoft's Windows Phone 7, and on two smartphones using it, continues to emerge, some of it gleaned from hacking, demonstrations and from the growing experience of developers exploring the radically revamped mobile OS.
Coders at XDA-Developers.com hacked the ROM for an un-announced HTC smartphone, called Mondrian, with a Windows Phone 7 software build, though it's still referred to as "Windows Mobile 7". The Mondrian may be destined for AT&T because there is likely outdated reference to the wireless carrier's previous name: Cingular.
Microsoft in April released for developers a new emulator for Windows Phone, based on the latest released build of the underlying operating system.
From the ROM's contents, it appears that Mondrian could sport a big 4.3-inch Wide VGA screen, with the 480-pixel VGA height but a width of 800-854 pixels. HTC already uses WVGA on a range of its smartphones, as the 480x800 HTC HD2.
The ROM also references a faster version of the Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU, which is used in a range of high-end smartphones running at 1GHz. The speedier chip runs at 1.3GHz with a 1.5GHz version due out also.
The second phone, though disclosed earlier this year, is from LG, the Panther. Pocket-Lint.com has a series of photos from a U.K. demonstration of the device running Windows Phone 7, though few specific details of the phone were disclosed. The significance is in how the hardware runs the latest build of the operating system. Pocket-Lint's Rik Henderson was impressed with what he saw.
"One stand-out aspect dwelled upon in the demo was intuitive and seamless Facebook integration, with the phone automatically pulling contacts' updates when you access them via the address book," Henderson writes. "They're current status details appear alongside phone number, address, etc."
The software recognized street addresses, then offered one-click access to map locations and details, via Microsoft's Bing search engine. "Every application, including e-mail and text, automatically creates a link for an address," Henderson writes. The built-in Microsoft Zune media player displayed video and played music "quickly and clearly."
Microsoft employees, since the unveiling of the revamped mobile UI in February, have been using unmarked black prototype phones. There's some speculation that LG will be the first to release a WP7 phone, in September, with others expected in October and later.
Microsoft has been secretive about the mobile Web browser that will be part of Windows Phone 7, but again new details are emerging.
- Fast and Furious: How SAS VA Helps IT Deliver BI Platform Read this whitepaper to learn more about the benefits of self-service BI to make business critical decisions.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts