IDG News Service - Oracle will acquire Secerno, which makes firewall products for databases that protect against hackers and data breaches, the companies said today.
The purchase price was not disclosed. The transaction is expected to close at the end of next month, according to Oracle.
Secerno makes a series of hardware and software products called DataWall, which control how information in databases is accessed. DataWall monitors a database and blocks unauthorized access.
DataWall uses what Secerno calls its Synoptiq engine, which "fingerprints the intent of all database requests and clearly and concisely shows exactly how an organization's data is accessed or changed."
Synoptiq, designed to detect and stop attacks in real time, came from research done at Oxford University's Computing Laboratory. DataWall is compatible with Oracle and also Microsoft's SQL Server and Sybase ASE databases.
Oracle said there is rising demand for data protection products. Companies that lose data or are hacked can face fines from regulators and loss of confidence from their customers.
"This combination is expected to further enable customers to reduce the cost and complexity of securing their information throughout the enterprise with a protective perimeter around Oracle and non-Oracle databases," Oracle said in a letter to customers on its Web site.
Oracle said it would continue to honor Secerno partner agreements for a smooth transition. "Partners should continue to reach out to their existing Secerno contacts until we advise otherwise," the company said.
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts