IDG News Service - Oracle will acquire Secerno, which makes firewall products for databases that protect against hackers and data breaches, the companies said today.
The purchase price was not disclosed. The transaction is expected to close at the end of next month, according to Oracle.
Secerno makes a series of hardware and software products called DataWall, which control how information in databases is accessed. DataWall monitors a database and blocks unauthorized access.
DataWall uses what Secerno calls its Synoptiq engine, which "fingerprints the intent of all database requests and clearly and concisely shows exactly how an organization's data is accessed or changed."
Synoptiq, designed to detect and stop attacks in real time, came from research done at Oxford University's Computing Laboratory. DataWall is compatible with Oracle and also Microsoft's SQL Server and Sybase ASE databases.
Oracle said there is rising demand for data protection products. Companies that lose data or are hacked can face fines from regulators and loss of confidence from their customers.
"This combination is expected to further enable customers to reduce the cost and complexity of securing their information throughout the enterprise with a protective perimeter around Oracle and non-Oracle databases," Oracle said in a letter to customers on its Web site.
Oracle said it would continue to honor Secerno partner agreements for a smooth transition. "Partners should continue to reach out to their existing Secerno contacts until we advise otherwise," the company said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts