IDG News Service - Oracle will acquire Secerno, which makes firewall products for databases that protect against hackers and data breaches, the companies said today.
The purchase price was not disclosed. The transaction is expected to close at the end of next month, according to Oracle.
Secerno makes a series of hardware and software products called DataWall, which control how information in databases is accessed. DataWall monitors a database and blocks unauthorized access.
DataWall uses what Secerno calls its Synoptiq engine, which "fingerprints the intent of all database requests and clearly and concisely shows exactly how an organization's data is accessed or changed."
Synoptiq, designed to detect and stop attacks in real time, came from research done at Oxford University's Computing Laboratory. DataWall is compatible with Oracle and also Microsoft's SQL Server and Sybase ASE databases.
Oracle said there is rising demand for data protection products. Companies that lose data or are hacked can face fines from regulators and loss of confidence from their customers.
"This combination is expected to further enable customers to reduce the cost and complexity of securing their information throughout the enterprise with a protective perimeter around Oracle and non-Oracle databases," Oracle said in a letter to customers on its Web site.
Oracle said it would continue to honor Secerno partner agreements for a smooth transition. "Partners should continue to reach out to their existing Secerno contacts until we advise otherwise," the company said.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- Preventing Sophisticated Attacks: Anti-Evasion & Advanced Evasion Techniques McAfee Next Generation Firewall applies sophisticated analysis techniques specifically to detect advanced evasion techniques (AET).
- The Security Industry's Dirty Little Secret The debate over advanced evasion techniques (AETs) This report summarizes the findings of a McAfee commissioned research group to determine the level of understanding IT security professionals have about AETs...
- Demand More, Get the Most from the Move to a Next-Generation Firewall Beyond the basics in a next generation firewall, to protect your investment you should demand other valuable features: intrusion prevention, contextual rules, advanced...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!