Microsoft, Apple work to fix iPad Hotmail glitch
No word on patch timeline so iPad users can run Web interface
Computerworld - MIcrosoft today said it is working with Apple to solve problems that iPad users have had with Windows Live Hotmail.
"We've seen some issues with using Hotmail on the new Apple iPad," acknowledged Mike Schackwitz, the Hotmail program manager, in an entry on the "Inside Windows Live" blog Monday. "Specifically, composing and replying to an e-mail is not working for some of our users.
iPad users have reported problems with Microsoft's Web-based e-mail service, including the iPad's Safari browser freezing and an inability to compose new messages or reply to received mail.
"I can read mail but I can't compose a new message or reply to a message," said someone identified as "mitchgrrt" on Apple's support forum on April 6, just three days after the tablet went on sale. "iPad won't let me type in the message input area, and Safari hangs."
"We're working with Apple to understand the issues, and we'll fix them as quickly as possible," said Schackwitz. He did not provide a timetable for a Hotmail fix.
On Apple's support forum, most iPad users said that they were able to grab their Hotmail messages after setting up the tablet's baked-in Mail client to access Microsoft's service as a POP account. Others urged iPad users who were experiencing problems to switch to the mobile Hotmail site, which uses a stripped-down interface more suitable for the smaller screens on smartphones. Microsoft has since redirected all iPad traffic to the mobile version.
Microsoft is expected to unveil a new version of Windows Live Hotmail on Tuesday. Last week, Australian blogger Long Zheng said invitations had gone out for the unveiling of what Microsoft's codenamed the "Wave 4" versions of Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger, the company's instant messaging client.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apple plays hardball with iPad Mini reveal
- Apple breezes to PC sales' top spot as Windows share decays
- Analyst tallies perks of September launch of new iPhone, iPad
- Analyst predicts stellar iPad sales in next week's Apple earnings
- Nexus 7 holds up better than iPad in drop, water-dunk tests
- With iPad Mini, Apple would remain tablet king through '16, says IDC
- Apple demands ipad3.com domain
- Chrome for iOS snatches top spot on App Store
- iPad in the Enterprise: IT Must Stay Ahead of the Curve
- Skepticism mounts over Windows RT's enterprise role
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts