Microsoft, Apple work to fix iPad Hotmail glitch
No word on patch timeline so iPad users can run Web interface
Computerworld - MIcrosoft today said it is working with Apple to solve problems that iPad users have had with Windows Live Hotmail.
"We've seen some issues with using Hotmail on the new Apple iPad," acknowledged Mike Schackwitz, the Hotmail program manager, in an entry on the "Inside Windows Live" blog Monday. "Specifically, composing and replying to an e-mail is not working for some of our users.
iPad users have reported problems with Microsoft's Web-based e-mail service, including the iPad's Safari browser freezing and an inability to compose new messages or reply to received mail.
"I can read mail but I can't compose a new message or reply to a message," said someone identified as "mitchgrrt" on Apple's support forum on April 6, just three days after the tablet went on sale. "iPad won't let me type in the message input area, and Safari hangs."
"We're working with Apple to understand the issues, and we'll fix them as quickly as possible," said Schackwitz. He did not provide a timetable for a Hotmail fix.
On Apple's support forum, most iPad users said that they were able to grab their Hotmail messages after setting up the tablet's baked-in Mail client to access Microsoft's service as a POP account. Others urged iPad users who were experiencing problems to switch to the mobile Hotmail site, which uses a stripped-down interface more suitable for the smaller screens on smartphones. Microsoft has since redirected all iPad traffic to the mobile version.
Microsoft is expected to unveil a new version of Windows Live Hotmail on Tuesday. Last week, Australian blogger Long Zheng said invitations had gone out for the unveiling of what Microsoft's codenamed the "Wave 4" versions of Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger, the company's instant messaging client.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Office for iPad apps ring up 27M downloads
- Apple plays hardball with iPad Mini reveal
- Apple breezes to PC sales' top spot as Windows share decays
- Analyst tallies perks of September launch of new iPhone, iPad
- Analyst predicts stellar iPad sales in next week's Apple earnings
- Nexus 7 holds up better than iPad in drop, water-dunk tests
- With iPad Mini, Apple would remain tablet king through '16, says IDC
- Apple demands ipad3.com domain
- Chrome for iOS snatches top spot on App Store
- iPad in the Enterprise: IT Must Stay Ahead of the Curve
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts