Ukrainian arrested in India on TJX data-theft charges
IDG News Service - A Ukrainian national has been arrested in India in connection with the most notorious hacking incident in U.S. history.
Sergey Valeryevich Storchark was one of 11 men charged in August 2008 with hacking into nine U.S. retailers and selling tens of millions of credit card numbers. He was arrested in India earlier this week, according to a spokesman with India's Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
In a statement, the CBI said they'd arrested Storchark in New Delhi on the night of May 8, as he deplaned from a flight from Goa, for layover before a flight to Turkey.
U.S. authorities had asked for his extradition via diplomatic channels, the CBI said.
Authorities say that Storchark was a reseller of stolen credit cards -- one of the men that hacker Albert Gonzalez and his accomplices turned to when they wanted to sell the data they'd stolen from major U.S. retailers such as TJX, Dave and Buster's, Office Max and DSW.
In 2008, U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey described this as probably "the single largest and most complex identity theft case ever charged in this country."
Storchark faces one charge of conspiracy to traffic in unauthorized access devices.
Known online as "Fidel," Storchak allegedly sold credit card data on an online forum called DumpsMarket, but he was also active on other forums, said a federal law enforcement source speaking on condition of anonymity because the source was not authorized to speak with press. "He was pretty well connected at one point, so I think he's a significant player."
In late March, Gonzalez was sentenced to 20 years in prison for his role in the conspiracy. Several of this other co-conspirators have been sentenced as well. However, several remain out of the reach of U.S. law enforcement, and it's often next-to-impossible to extradite suspected hackers from countries such as Ukraine and Russia.
"His extradition and prosecution would have been very unlikely had he reached his final destination of Ukraine," the CBI said.
John Ribeiro in Bangalore contributed to this report.
Robert McMillan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. He is on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/bobmcmillan.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Firewall Buyers Guide Operate as the core of your network security infrastructure
- Getting Started With a Zero Trust Approach to Network Security The Traditional Approach to Network Security is Failing. View Now>>
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts