Patent office upholds i4i patent in Microsoft dispute
IDG News Service - The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office confirmed a patent held by i4i that has been at the heart of a dispute with Microsoft.
Microsoft has already had to remove a feature from Word 2007 and has been ordered to pay more than $240 million in damages due to the ongoing battle over the technology.
I4i said today that in late April the patent office issued a Notice of Intent to Issue Ex Parte Reexamination Certificate regarding the decision on the patent. That means the patent office will soon issue a Reexamination Certificate "which will formally conclude the reexamination proceeding favorably for i4i," the company said in a statement.
I4i's patent covers technology that lets people create custom XML documents. Last year the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas ruled that Microsoft had to stop selling products that used i4i's technology. Since then, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit has twice refused Microsoft's requests to reconsider the case.
Should Microsoft decide to continue to pursue the case, its next stop would be the U.S. Supreme Court.
"We are disappointed, but there still remain important matters of patent law at stake, and we are considering our options to get them addressed, including a petition to the Supreme Court," said Kevin Kutz, a Microsoft spokesman.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
If you use ‘password,’ one the worst passwords, as your password, fail to keep antivirus protection updated and don’t bother to deploy security patches to close critical vulnerabilities, then maybe you should consider working for the cybersecurity-clueless federal government; you’d fit right in, according to Senator Tom Coburn's cybersecurity and critical infrastructure report.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Mobile Policy Checklist
- Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day
- The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- Who's afraid of the big (data) bad wolf? Survive the big data storm by getting ahead of integration and governance functional requirements
- This paper provides a detailed review of the best practices clients should consider before embarking on their big data integration projects.
- Understanding big data so you can act with confidence
- Automating information integration and governance and employing it at the point of data creation helps organizations boost confidence in their big data. All Government IT White Papers
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10...
- How to Select the Right IoT Platform We are rapidly entering a world where almost everything will be connected to the cloud and managing these connected things and leveraging the...
- All Government IT Webcasts