IDG News Service - Microsoft is set to begin competing more directly with Apple in mobile phones when pre-orders of its two new feature phones, Kin One and Kin Two, begin online at Verizon Wireless on Thursday.
The Kin One, the smaller of the two handsets with a built-in 5-megapixel camera, will cost $49.99 with a two-year Verizon contract, while the Kin Two, a larger handset with more memory and an 8-megapixel camera, will cost $99.99 with a two-year contract, Microsoft said in a news release. The price is after a $100 mail-in-rebate, which will be sent in the form of a debit card.
The two handsets will be available in stores a week after pre-sales start, on May 13.
Customers will have to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and an e-mail and Web for smartphone plan, which start at monthly rates of $39.99 and $29.99, respectively, according to the release.
The Kin phones are designed for multimedia, including software from Microsoft's Zune digital music players, for playback, music videos and FM radio. They're also meant for social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter. People can send messages or e-mails quickly, take pictures with the built-in cameras, which include auto focus and LED (light-emitting diode) flash and the ability to take HD video, as well as upload features to put photos and other data on the Internet quickly.
Japan's Sharp built the hardware, while Microsoft did the software on the handsets.
The two handsets will become available in Europe later this year from Vodafone, starting in Germany, Italy, Spain and the U.K.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!