Producer is a free add-on tool that helps users capture and add multimedia components to their PowerPoint presentations.
Last March, Microsoft warned of a critical security bug in the product, but it didn't release a new update. Instead, it said that Producer 2003 users should simply uninstall their software. On Monday, however, it posted an update, and is now recommending that "all customers using Producer 2003 upgrade to the new version," according to a blog post from the Microsoft Security Response Center.
Back in March, Microsoft said it was not updating Producer 2003 because it wasn't designed for automatic updates. "Based on our investigation, we determined that the best way to protect the vast majority of customers was to release an update addressing the components that shipped with Windows," Microsoft said in a blog post. "We recommend that customers either uninstall the application or apply an available Microsoft Fix It to disassociate the project file type from the application to add an extra layer of security."
The flaw, which has to do with the way Producer reads certain file formats, also affects Windows Movie Maker. But Microsoft issued a Movie Maker patch when it first warned of the issue in March. A similar product, Windows Live Movie Maker -- which runs on Vista and Windows 7 -- is not affected by the issue.
Microsoft doesn't know of anyone exploiting the bug in online attacks, but it's worried that hackers might be able to use it to install unauthorized software on victims' computers.
"Producer 2003 was a little-known product," said Andrew Storms, director of security operations with security vendor nCircle, via instant message. "What we have is the official replacement for the flawed product."
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts