IDG News Service - IBM bolstered its data-integration portfolio Monday, announcing the acquisition of Cast Iron Systems, which focuses on connecting on-premise systems with cloud-based software.
Cast Iron's capabilities will help IBM customers build hybrid clouds that combine on-premise applications, public cloud platforms like Amazon Web Services, and private cloud deployments. Its technology is available as a physical or virtual appliance, or a cloud service.
Big Blue's software division has made more than 55 acquisitions since 2003, according to a statement. This one makes sense for a number of reasons, said Redmonk analyst Michael Coté.
Cast Iron has already built out integrations for many of the top SaaS products, such as Salesforce.com and Oracle CRM on Demand, Coté said. "For a company like IBM, if there's someone who's already solved that problem, it's an easier thing to buy [them] than do it on your own."
IBM's large enterprise customers are also "looking to them to be the trusted source for all this cloud hoopla," and the company stands to make ample services revenue in connection with developing hybrid clouds, he said.
In addition, the deal provides evidence that cloud computing is reaching a more mature stage among enterprises, which are already showing a willingness to use SaaS (software as a service) applications, he said: "When you get past the first rung, the next step is integrating with all sorts of on-premises processes."
IBM is buying a strong company in Cast Iron, and technology that could have broad appeal, said Rebecca Wettemann, vice president of research at Nucleus Research. "It's a great way for IBM to go back to Cognos customers, SPSS customers, even Oracle and SAP customers and say, 'we can be your one-stop-shop for integration in the cloud."
Cast Iron's existing customers shouldn't have too much to worry about, and could even benefit from greater product investment by IBM, she said.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts