Red Hat support subscription to cover Amazon's cloud
IDG News Service - Red Hat Cloud Access will let enterprises use their subscriptions to support either traditional on-premise servers or servers hosted on Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud, the company said today.
The goal is to make it easier for companies to add server capacity using the cloud or move servers between the data center and the cloud and vice versa without having to think about how support is handled, said Magnus Svensson, Nordic manager at Red Hat.
Using Cloud Access, customers will be able to continue to use their standard support contacts and methods to receive support, according to Red Hat.
However, not everyone is eligible to get Cloud Access. For example, customers need to have a minimum of 25 active premium subscriptions and have a direct support relationship with Red Hat. Customers who get their Red Hat support via third parties or hardware OEMs (original equipment manufacturers) are not eligible, according to Red Hat's Web site.
A premium subscription costs $1,299 annually, for a server with up to two processor sockets, or $2,499, for a server with three or more sockets.
Red Hat also pledges to make the latest versions of Enterprise Linux available on Amazon EC2 at the same time as the release for traditional on-premise deployments, in an effort to increase consistency between the two worlds. The company will deliver updates to Red Hat Enterprise Linux within Amazon Web Services, as well.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts