IDG News Service - Michael Abbott, the head of Palm's software and services team, will leave the company at the end of next week, according to a regulatory filing Palm made on Friday.
Abbott, Palm's senior vice president of software and services, submitted his resignation on Monday and will leave the company after April 23, Palm said in its filing to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
The resignation came as reports surface that the struggling handset maker is seeking a buyer. Last month Palm reported disappointing results for the quarter ended Feb. 26. Its Pre and Pixi smartphone lines, which run the WebOS operating system, are up against a growing number of smartphones using Google's Android platform as well as Apple's popular iPhone.
In the same filing on Friday, Palm disclosed it had given two other top executives financial incentives to stay on. Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Douglas Jeffries and Senior Vice President of Global Operations Jeffrey Devine each received a cash bonus of US$250,000 and a grant of restricted stock units. The perks are to be received over a two-year period as long as the executives stay with Palm.
Abbott leads development of the application platform and services at Palm and has been an evangelist for WebOS at mobile conferences. He came to Palm from Microsoft, where he was the general manager of .Net Online Services.
- The New IT Explore enhanced productivity for IT staff, and seamless integration across IT operation management systems. Download now.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Bringing software licenses into compliance A hospital group received a software license audit, so they called in CDW to help define and manage their software licensing status.
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.