IDG News Service - A few weeks ago, officials at Fairfax County Public Schools thought they had a hacker on their hands.
Someone was changing teacher passwords on the Falls Church, Virginia, school district's Blackboard system, which is used to give teachers, students and parents a way to communicate and stay on top of homework assignments and class announcements over the Web.
Local police were called; they investigated and traced the incident to the home of a 9-year-old student at the school. Although police initially thought that the Blackboard system had been hacked, it turned out that a Fairfax student -- who has not been identified -- had simply taken a teacher's password from a desk and used it to change enrollment lists and other teachers' passwords.
"This was a case where an individual ... got hold of a teacher's password, and the passwords had administrative rights," said Paul Regnier, a school board spokesman.
The student was able to enroll teachers in classes, and when he did so he could modify their passwords on the Blackboard system, but there wasn't much more he could do, Blackboard representatives said. The intruder couldn't, for example, change grades or access other machines on the school's system.
That didn't stop some local papers from reporting the incident as a computer intrusion, a characterization that both Regnier and Blackboard now dispute. "It was actually not a hack, unless you consider the fact that the 9-year-old took the teacher's username and password from the desk a hack," said Michael Stanton, Blackboard's senior vice president of corporate affairs.
Although there will be no criminal charges filed against the perpetrator -- citing school policy, Regnier wouldn't confirm that it is a student -- the Fairfax school board is taking the incident seriously, Regnier said. "Nothing bad happened this time, but we have to make sure that ... it doesn't happen again," he said.
The key, he added, is keeping passwords safe from prying eyes.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!