Apple delays iPad's international launch
Outside the U.S., the iPad won't be available until late May
Pre-orders for the iPad outside the United States will begin on May 10, at which time Apple will also announce international pricing and the release date. The 3G-enabled iPad is still on track for the end of April in the United States.
The quote is important. It emphasizes that people need to experience using the device to understand why they might want one. The iPad is a luxury item, not the best for productivity but ideal for casual computing while lounging around at home. Not surprisingly, that's where most of the legs and arms in Apple's ads are situated.
From my experience at least, most people don't see the need for that kind of computing until they've experienced it. "Why did you buy this?" is a common question, and the answer is hard to explain without the device in hand.
Apple needs to prove to itself, investors, and the world that the iPad was a good idea, and that means keeping the buzz alive in the United States until Apple can boast 1 million sales. But along the line, the company messed up. Maybe there were production problems overseas, as one analyst said last month, or perhaps demand truly is greater than Apple anticipated. Either way, why chance the iPad internationally when there's plenty of demand at home?
- Apple plays hardball with iPad Mini reveal
- Apple breezes to PC sales' top spot as Windows share decays
- Analyst tallies perks of September launch of new iPhone, iPad
- Analyst predicts stellar iPad sales in next week's Apple earnings
- Nexus 7 holds up better than iPad in drop, water-dunk tests
- With iPad Mini, Apple would remain tablet king through '16, says IDC
- Apple demands ipad3.com domain
- Chrome for iOS snatches top spot on App Store
- iPad in the Enterprise: IT Must Stay Ahead of the Curve
- Skepticism mounts over Windows RT's enterprise role
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts