Apple delays iPad's international launch
Outside the U.S., the iPad won't be available until late May
Pre-orders for the iPad outside the United States will begin on May 10, at which time Apple will also announce international pricing and the release date. The 3G-enabled iPad is still on track for the end of April in the United States.
The quote is important. It emphasizes that people need to experience using the device to understand why they might want one. The iPad is a luxury item, not the best for productivity but ideal for casual computing while lounging around at home. Not surprisingly, that's where most of the legs and arms in Apple's ads are situated.
From my experience at least, most people don't see the need for that kind of computing until they've experienced it. "Why did you buy this?" is a common question, and the answer is hard to explain without the device in hand.
Apple needs to prove to itself, investors, and the world that the iPad was a good idea, and that means keeping the buzz alive in the United States until Apple can boast 1 million sales. But along the line, the company messed up. Maybe there were production problems overseas, as one analyst said last month, or perhaps demand truly is greater than Apple anticipated. Either way, why chance the iPad internationally when there's plenty of demand at home?
- Office for iPad apps ring up 27M downloads
- Apple plays hardball with iPad Mini reveal
- Apple breezes to PC sales' top spot as Windows share decays
- Analyst tallies perks of September launch of new iPhone, iPad
- Analyst predicts stellar iPad sales in next week's Apple earnings
- Nexus 7 holds up better than iPad in drop, water-dunk tests
- With iPad Mini, Apple would remain tablet king through '16, says IDC
- Apple demands ipad3.com domain
- Chrome for iOS snatches top spot on App Store
- iPad in the Enterprise: IT Must Stay Ahead of the Curve
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts