Apple delays iPad's international launch
Outside the U.S., the iPad won't be available until late May
Pre-orders for the iPad outside the United States will begin on May 10, at which time Apple will also announce international pricing and the release date. The 3G-enabled iPad is still on track for the end of April in the United States.
The quote is important. It emphasizes that people need to experience using the device to understand why they might want one. The iPad is a luxury item, not the best for productivity but ideal for casual computing while lounging around at home. Not surprisingly, that's where most of the legs and arms in Apple's ads are situated.
From my experience at least, most people don't see the need for that kind of computing until they've experienced it. "Why did you buy this?" is a common question, and the answer is hard to explain without the device in hand.
Apple needs to prove to itself, investors, and the world that the iPad was a good idea, and that means keeping the buzz alive in the United States until Apple can boast 1 million sales. But along the line, the company messed up. Maybe there were production problems overseas, as one analyst said last month, or perhaps demand truly is greater than Apple anticipated. Either way, why chance the iPad internationally when there's plenty of demand at home?
- Office for iPad apps ring up 27M downloads
- Apple plays hardball with iPad Mini reveal
- Apple breezes to PC sales' top spot as Windows share decays
- Analyst tallies perks of September launch of new iPhone, iPad
- Analyst predicts stellar iPad sales in next week's Apple earnings
- Nexus 7 holds up better than iPad in drop, water-dunk tests
- With iPad Mini, Apple would remain tablet king through '16, says IDC
- Apple demands ipad3.com domain
- Chrome for iOS snatches top spot on App Store
- iPad in the Enterprise: IT Must Stay Ahead of the Curve
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts