Cisco's Flip Video SlideHD goes on sale for $280
New Cisco Flip device offers 16GB to store four hours of HD video
Computerworld - Cisco Systems Inc. continues to promote its video data offerings, such as the new Flip Video SlideHD pocket camcorder that became available today, as the technology becomes more dominant on all kinds of networks.
The new device, now available online for $280 and at many retailers, provides a 3-inch wide touchscreen LCD display that slides to an angle for viewing. The Flip Video system comes with 16GB of internal storage for capturing up to four hours of HD video, double the capacity of previous Flip models.
The technology came to Cisco from its March, 2009, acquisition of Flip developer Pure Digital Technologies. With the acquisition, Cisco was looking to take advantage of what it saw as a future explosion in demand for video over network devices.
Though the Flip devices are mostly seen as consumer-focused, Cisco clearly sees potential biusiness uses. For example, the devices could be used by realtors to show properties, by multiple industries to describe a service or record any event in great detail.
Cisco CEO John Chambers has been known to pull out his own Flip camera to record reactions of members of the audience where he is speaking.
Analysts have said that Cisco must move quickly to widely distribute the Flip devices before Apple adds the ability to shoot HD video to its its iPhone and iPod Touch products.
The Flip device also faces potential competition from from several other smartphone makers, and emerging devices like Microsoft's new Kin product that capture video for quick and easy distribution over wireless networks. The Kin product will be available next month from Verizon Wireless.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts