Cisco's Flip Video SlideHD goes on sale for $280
New Cisco Flip device offers 16GB to store four hours of HD video
Computerworld - Cisco Systems Inc. continues to promote its video data offerings, such as the new Flip Video SlideHD pocket camcorder that became available today, as the technology becomes more dominant on all kinds of networks.
The new device, now available online for $280 and at many retailers, provides a 3-inch wide touchscreen LCD display that slides to an angle for viewing. The Flip Video system comes with 16GB of internal storage for capturing up to four hours of HD video, double the capacity of previous Flip models.
The technology came to Cisco from its March, 2009, acquisition of Flip developer Pure Digital Technologies. With the acquisition, Cisco was looking to take advantage of what it saw as a future explosion in demand for video over network devices.
Though the Flip devices are mostly seen as consumer-focused, Cisco clearly sees potential biusiness uses. For example, the devices could be used by realtors to show properties, by multiple industries to describe a service or record any event in great detail.
Cisco CEO John Chambers has been known to pull out his own Flip camera to record reactions of members of the audience where he is speaking.
Analysts have said that Cisco must move quickly to widely distribute the Flip devices before Apple adds the ability to shoot HD video to its its iPhone and iPod Touch products.
The Flip device also faces potential competition from from several other smartphone makers, and emerging devices like Microsoft's new Kin product that capture video for quick and easy distribution over wireless networks. The Kin product will be available next month from Verizon Wireless.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!