Cisco's Flip Video SlideHD goes on sale for $280
New Cisco Flip device offers 16GB to store four hours of HD video
Computerworld - Cisco Systems Inc. continues to promote its video data offerings, such as the new Flip Video SlideHD pocket camcorder that became available today, as the technology becomes more dominant on all kinds of networks.
The new device, now available online for $280 and at many retailers, provides a 3-inch wide touchscreen LCD display that slides to an angle for viewing. The Flip Video system comes with 16GB of internal storage for capturing up to four hours of HD video, double the capacity of previous Flip models.
The technology came to Cisco from its March, 2009, acquisition of Flip developer Pure Digital Technologies. With the acquisition, Cisco was looking to take advantage of what it saw as a future explosion in demand for video over network devices.
Though the Flip devices are mostly seen as consumer-focused, Cisco clearly sees potential biusiness uses. For example, the devices could be used by realtors to show properties, by multiple industries to describe a service or record any event in great detail.
Cisco CEO John Chambers has been known to pull out his own Flip camera to record reactions of members of the audience where he is speaking.
Analysts have said that Cisco must move quickly to widely distribute the Flip devices before Apple adds the ability to shoot HD video to its its iPhone and iPod Touch products.
The Flip device also faces potential competition from from several other smartphone makers, and emerging devices like Microsoft's new Kin product that capture video for quick and easy distribution over wireless networks. The Kin product will be available next month from Verizon Wireless.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Securing Mobility, From Device to Network At one time, the process of managing and securing mobile devices and applications was fairly straightforward. Most organizations worried about one application (email)...
- Planning for Mobile Success Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- The Challenges and Opportunities of Mobile Application Development Nearly all business users now demand mobile devices--their own or company-owned--along with anywhere access to corporate applications and data. What turns mobile devices...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts