Google reportedly has a tablet in the works
The list of rivals to Apple's iPad is growing
Although the Times found other people, unnamed, who described Google as "experimenting" with an Android-based device as a potential competitor to the iPad, it also noted that Google "is soon expected to begin selling its version of a slate computer."
Whether a Google tablet is imminent or not, the search giant would logically fit into the category of companies large and sophisticated enough to build an iPad rival. One of Google's best qualifying attributes is the Android OS that it sponsored in the Open Handset Alliance.
An array of large companies have either said they will offer tablet devices or are likely to do so in the near future. Nokia Corp. is working with suppliers and designers to come up with one by fall, according to an analyst. And HP is already talking up its Slate device, which is expected to ship by mid-year. Dell Inc. is reportedly developing the Streak, while Lenovo Group has the IdeaPad s10-3.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts