IDG News Service - Salesforce.com and VMware are forging a high-profile partnership, according to a Web site announcing an April 27 event being held by the companies.
The site, VMForce.com, includes few details about exactly what is planned, saying that Salesforce.com CEO Marc Benioff and VMware CEO Paul Maritz will "make an exciting joint announcement on the future of cloud computing."
"VMForce is coming," a headline reads. "See it here live on April 27."
Representatives for both vendors did not immediately respond to requests for comment Monday.
The VMware partnership could result in some type of virtualization-as-a-service offering, but other evidence makes the guessing game more difficult.
VMware has recently made moves toward application development, purchasing Java tools maker SpringSource, as well as business applications in general, scooping up the Zimbra e-mail and collaboration suite from Yahoo.
In turn, Salesforce.com has been broadening its offering beyond pure CRM (customer relationship management) with efforts like the Force.com development platform, its AppExchange marketplace and FinancialForce.com, accounting software that is the result of a joint venture with Unit 4 Agresso.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts