Greenplum's Chorus builds data marts from multiple sources
IDG News Service - Database and data warehousing vendor Greenplum plans today to unveil Chorus, a bundle of software that allows users to quickly provision new data marts composed of many sources.
Many enterprises have sought to build a centralized data warehouse under the rationale that it provides a "single source of the truth" compared to multiple data marts, as well as more control over how information is governed and protected.
But that model has become "untenable" given the upkeep involved, as well the IT bottleneck it causes when multiple business analysts want to analyze information it contains, said Scott Yara, co-founder and president of Greenplum.
"Customers should have enterprise data warehouses, they're an important thing to have. But they shouldn't be the only way of storing and thinking about data in the enterprise," Yara said.
In addition, there is untapped potential in information held outside the data warehouse, Greenplum contends.
Once a certain data set is proved to have value for ongoing analysis, it could be pushed into the main data warehouse, he said.
Chorus is the first product to emerge from the "enterprise data cloud" marketing strategy Greenplum launched last year. It is available via perpetual license or subscription, and will be generally available at the end of April, Yara said. He declined to disclose pricing.
Database analyst Curt Monash of Monash Research described Chorus as "basically a new class of data-integration middleware."
"The perfectly integrated grand central database is a pipe dream," Monash said. "Different portions and subsets of analytic data belong on different qualities of equipment and that's also a barrier to putting everything in one integrated system."
Meanwhile, Chorus "takes something that people are already doing and makes it easier," he said.
Greenplum also announced version 4.0 of its database, which includes a range of performance, reliability and administrative improvements.
The company believes the database has achieved a level of functionality that makes it a potential "floor-sweep replacement" for platforms sold by larger rivals such as Teradata, Yara said.
The vendor "has been at this longer than some of the other analytic DBMS startups," Monash said. "They have dotted more I's and crossed more T's."
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts