Sun's Solaris now getting quarterly security patches
IDG News Service - Oracle has moved Solaris onto its quarterly security patch schedule, meaning users of the Sun Microsystems operating system will now know months in advance when they will be getting security updates.
Oracle announced the news Thursday, saying it will include a number of Sun products in its next Critical Patch Update, which is due on Tuesday. The update will include 16 security fixes for Sun products, including Solaris, Sun Cluster, Sun Convergence and the Sun Ray server software.
Sun had previously released security patches on an ad hoc basis. Oracle, which bought Sun in January, is now putting Sun's products on a quarterly patch cycle to make the process more predictable. Many big software companies, including Cisco Systems, Microsoft and Adobe Systems, have adopted similar regular patch cycles.
As usual, Oracle will also ship fixes for its flagship database. Seven of the 47 patches due next are for the database. However, the database bugs are not as critical as some past vulnerabilities have been. Oracle said none of the bugs it is fixing next week can be exploited remotely without having a username and password for the database server. It will also patch its E-Business Suite, Collaboration Suite, Fusion middleware, Industry Suite and PeopleTools software.
After Tuesday, Oracle's next set of updates is due on July 13.
Tuesday will be a busy day for system administrators. Microsoft plans to fix 25 vulnerabilities in its products on the same day, and Adobe is set to release patches for its Acrobat and Reader software.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!