IDG News Service - In a blog entry posted Wednesday, Microsoft offered a glimpse of what will be in the first major update of Exchange Server 2010, due later this year.
Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1) will bring a range of new features and capabilities to the back office mail server software, including improvements to the software's archiving functionality and to its Web client, according to the blog entry posted by Exchange developer Michael Atalla.
The update will allow users to set up an archive folder that could be located in a mailbox separate from the primary mailbox, which could better help administrators keep their main e-mail databases at manageable sizes.
The browser client, called Outlook Web Access (OWA), will get some significant new features with this release as well. The client may seem faster to end-users, thanks to its ability to "pre-fetch" messages and run multiple operations simultaneously, according to the blog post.
The OWA user interface has been reordered for greater readability as well. And, for the first time, OWA users can read and compose messages protected by Microsoft's information rights management (IRM) technology, a feature previously available only in the regular Outlook client.
The release will also bring enhancements in the administrative interfaces and searching capabilities. It will also roll up all the features and bug fixes since the first release of Exchange 2010.
A beta of SP1 will be made available in June, during the company's TechEd conference.
Microsoft TechEd 2010
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Firewall Buyers Guide Operate as the core of your network security infrastructure
- Getting Started With a Zero Trust Approach to Network Security The Traditional Approach to Network Security is Failing. View Now>>
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts