IDG News Service - Chinese police have smashed a mobile phone smuggling ring that involved up to 160 people and was worth over 7.8 billion yuan (US$1.1 billion), state media said late Wednesday.
The investigation by customs police led to the arrest of more than 100 suspects in the country's biggest mobile phone smuggling case, the state-run Xinhua news agency said, citing information from a customs work meeting.
At least four suspects have already been sentenced to prison terms from just over one year to as much as 15 years by a court in Zhuhai, in the southern province of Guangdong, Xinhua said. Authorities confiscated money and smuggled goods worth over 20 million yuan ($3 million) from the ring, it said.
The case is a rare example of work China is doing to crack down on parts of its mobile phone industry that can seem anarchic. Overseas versions of the iPhone, BlackBerry handsets and other popular mobile phones are widely sold in Chinese markets after being informally carried across the border. Two million iPhones are used in China that were not sold by the official distributor, China Unicom, technology consultancy BDA estimates, showing the size of the so-called "gray market" for informally imported electronics.
Mobile phones that violate regulations are also being exported from China. Many counterfeit iPhones and other knock-off handsets are made in China, and many phones in the country lack the government license needed for legal use on a Chinese network.
The production of such unlicensed phones is ballooning. Market researcher iSuppli late last year estimated 110 million units would be exported from China in 2009, up from just 60 million units the year before.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
If you use ‘password,’ one the worst passwords, as your password, fail to keep antivirus protection updated and don’t bother to deploy security patches to close critical vulnerabilities, then maybe you should consider working for the cybersecurity-clueless federal government; you’d fit right in, according to Senator Tom Coburn's cybersecurity and critical infrastructure report.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?
- Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results
- Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup... All Government IT White Papers
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of...
- All Government IT Webcasts