Starbucks expands pay-by-iPhone pilot to 1,000 stores
Starbucks Card Mobile App displays a barcode that iPhone, iPod touch owners can use to pay
Computerworld - Starbucks customers with Apple iPhones or iPod touches can now flash their mobile devices at more than 1,000 locations to purchase their coffee or other items.
Starbucks announced an expansion of a mobile payment application pilot project yesterday to 1,002 stores inside of Target stores.
The pilot for the Starbucks Card Mobile App started last September at 16 company-operated stores in Seattle and Northern California, and was successful enough to expand further, a spokeswoman said.
No plans have been announced for further expansion to more than 11,000 Starbucks in the U.S., and any expansion will depend on customer and employee satisfaction, she added.
Target has been a Starbucks licensee for more than 10 years, and has a strong relationship that made it a good candidate for the mobile payment expansion.
The Starbucks payment app, free on Apple's App Store, allows a customer to place money on a Starbucks card using a credit card. To make a purchase, a user passes their iPhone or iPod touch, which displays a unique Starbucks Card Mobile barcode on its screen, over a barcode reader at the Starbucks payment counter.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!