Obama appoints veteran IT consolidator to DOD
White House names California CIO Teri Takai to one of the top federal IT jobs
Computerworld - Based on its appointment of California state CIO Teri Takai to the top IT job in the Department of Defense, the Obama administration is likely steering the agency in the direction of IT consolidation.
President Barack Obama today appointed Takai assistant secretary for networks and information integration at the DOD .
Before taking the top California IT job in 2007, Takai held the same job in Michigan's state government, where she led an effort to centralize IT operations -- closing several dozen data centers and consolidating of 40 statewide e-mail systems into two.
Takai was given similar marching orders in California, where Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger early last year unveiled plans to consolidate the state's IT operation under the office of the state CIO.
In a hearing last year about the plan, Takai said consolidating IT operations would enable California to take "an enterprise approach to technology that will enable expanded access to government services and information, enhanced accountability and performance, improved public safety and disaster recovery capabilities, and consistent information security and privacy practices."
In the appointment announcement, Obama cited Takai's consolidation experience in Michigan.
The approach applied by Takai in Michigan and California is in line with the White House goal of holding back on IT spending increases while consolidating IT operations.
In the 2011federal budget plan released earlier this year, the Obama administration proposed a federal IT budget of nearly $80 billion, up 1.2% from this fiscal year.
The White House wants to government agencies to improve IT efficiency through adoption of new technologies and approaches, such as cloud computing, and consolidation. In the fiscal 2011 spending plan, the administration specifically pointed out that the number of federal government data centers has more than doubled to about 1,100 over over the past 10 years.
The new job presents Takai with multiple challenges. For instance, the DOD's IT business systems modernization program has been cited at "high risk" since 1995 by the U.S. Government Accountability Office.
Patrick Thibodeau covers SaaS and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov, or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Obama and tech
- China set to surpass U.S. in R&D spending in 10 years
- Outgoing federal CIO warns of 'an IT cartel'
- @whitehouse takes on Twitter Town Hall
- Obama's CIO quits
- Little new in Obama cybersecurity proposal
- Feds update IT plan following Obama's 'horrible' comment
- Obama's online trusted ID plan greeted with caution
- U.S. Census tech makeover includes 'oasis' for innovation
- Obama seeks big boost in cybersecurity spending
- QuickPoll: Is Obama's 98% 4G broadband coverage goal realistic?
Read more about Government IT in Computerworld's Government IT Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
If you use ‘password,’ one the worst passwords, as your password, fail to keep antivirus protection updated and don’t bother to deploy security patches to close critical vulnerabilities, then maybe you should consider working for the cybersecurity-clueless federal government; you’d fit right in, according to Senator Tom Coburn's cybersecurity and critical infrastructure report.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?
- Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results
- Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup... All Government IT White Papers
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of...
- All Government IT Webcasts