Obama appoints veteran IT consolidator to DOD
White House names California CIO Teri Takai to one of the top federal IT jobs
Computerworld - Based on its appointment of California state CIO Teri Takai to the top IT job in the Department of Defense, the Obama administration is likely steering the agency in the direction of IT consolidation.
President Barack Obama today appointed Takai assistant secretary for networks and information integration at the DOD .
Before taking the top California IT job in 2007, Takai held the same job in Michigan's state government, where she led an effort to centralize IT operations -- closing several dozen data centers and consolidating of 40 statewide e-mail systems into two.
Takai was given similar marching orders in California, where Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger early last year unveiled plans to consolidate the state's IT operation under the office of the state CIO.
In a hearing last year about the plan, Takai said consolidating IT operations would enable California to take "an enterprise approach to technology that will enable expanded access to government services and information, enhanced accountability and performance, improved public safety and disaster recovery capabilities, and consistent information security and privacy practices."
In the appointment announcement, Obama cited Takai's consolidation experience in Michigan.
The approach applied by Takai in Michigan and California is in line with the White House goal of holding back on IT spending increases while consolidating IT operations.
In the 2011federal budget plan released earlier this year, the Obama administration proposed a federal IT budget of nearly $80 billion, up 1.2% from this fiscal year.
The White House wants to government agencies to improve IT efficiency through adoption of new technologies and approaches, such as cloud computing, and consolidation. In the fiscal 2011 spending plan, the administration specifically pointed out that the number of federal government data centers has more than doubled to about 1,100 over over the past 10 years.
The new job presents Takai with multiple challenges. For instance, the DOD's IT business systems modernization program has been cited at "high risk" since 1995 by the U.S. Government Accountability Office.
Patrick Thibodeau covers SaaS and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov, or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Obama and tech
- China set to surpass U.S. in R&D spending in 10 years
- Outgoing federal CIO warns of 'an IT cartel'
- @whitehouse takes on Twitter Town Hall
- Obama's CIO quits
- Little new in Obama cybersecurity proposal
- Feds update IT plan following Obama's 'horrible' comment
- Obama's online trusted ID plan greeted with caution
- U.S. Census tech makeover includes 'oasis' for innovation
- Obama seeks big boost in cybersecurity spending
- QuickPoll: Is Obama's 98% 4G broadband coverage goal realistic?
Read more about Government IT in Computerworld's Government IT Topic Center.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5
- This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms
- In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Migrate Oracle Apps from RISC/UNIX to Virtualized x86
- Ready to move Oracle to a virtualized environment? This brief explains how true converged infrastructure can help you migrate from a RISC/UNIX environment...
- Step Out of the Bull's-Eye
- Learn about the evolution of targeted attacks, the latest in security intelligence, and strategic steps to keep your business safe. All Government IT White Papers
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- All Government IT Webcasts