IDG News Service - PayPal is halting personal payment services for users in Japan from Wednesday due to new regulations that go into force the following day.
"We wish to inform you that effective 31 March 2010, you will not be able to send funds using the 'Send Money' function for noncommercial transactions only, until further notice," the company wrote in an e-mail to users in Japan. "The changes to our personal payment services are necessary in order for us to comply with new regulatory requirements in Japan."
Commercial payments, for example to companies for goods bought online, are not affected, PayPal said. Personal payments from outside of Japan to users inside the country will also continue.
PayPal is being forced to temporarily discontinue its services while it applies for a government license to offer money transfer services between individuals, said Atsuko Minatoya, a spokeswoman for PayPal Japan.
Such services hadn't been regulated until now but a new money transfer law will enter into force on April 1. The law is intended to help open up the sector but also requires that companies seek registration, she said.
The move to halt personal payment services is a temporary blow to PayPal, which two weeks ago said it plans to double its Asian operations this year and hire an additional 1,000 employees. PayPal manages operations in seven Asian nations, including Japan, from headquarters in Singapore and last year saw the regional volume of payments it handled jump 38 percent to US$6 billion.
But the year hasn't started smoothly. In February, PayPal stopped processing personal payments in India and allowing withdrawals in Indian rupees. The Reserve Bank of India says PayPal needs authorization to operate a cross-border money transfer service under local laws and doesn't have one.
Rupee withdrawals have resumed but personal payments are still suspended.
PayPal did not provide an estimate for when personal remittance services would resume in Japan.
- 18 Hot IT Certifications for 2014
- CIOs Opting for IT Contractors Over Hiring Full-Time Staff
- 12 Best Free iOS 7 Holiday Shopping Apps
- For CMOs Big Data Can Lead to Big Profits
- Slideshow: 5 ways to lock down your mobile device
- Slideshow: 10 mistakes companies make after a data breach
- How to rob a bank: A social engineering walk through
- Which smartphone is the most secure?
If you think getting it right from day one is always what matters, you probably haven't been following technology too closely.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Bring Networks and Applications Closer--Cisco ONE
- A series of sweeping trends is placing new requirements on the tried-and-true network model--requiring network infrastructure and applications to communicate. Get the open...
- Lippis Research Reviews the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X
- In this Lippis Report Research Note, Lippis Research reviews the latest edition of the "most popular access switch on the planet" -- the...
- Design Guide--Scaling Up to a Campus-Wide LAN
- Is it time to scale your network environment to a campus wired LAN? Here's the framework you need to set up your LAN...
- Comprehensive Security: Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series
- With a rich and comprehensive set of security features, Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches can help you address networking megatrends such...
- Be Energy Efficient--The Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series
- How much energy could be saved if all 230 million Layer 2 and 3 fixed managed switch ports sold in 2012 were as... All Government IT White Papers
- Modernizing SAP environments with minimum risk - a path to Big Data Hear from top IDC analyst, Richard Villars, about the path you can start taking now to enable your organization to get the benefits...
- Vblock™ Specialized System for SAP HANA® Overview video from DJ Long about the new Vblock Specialized System for SAP HANA®.
- The Power of the Citrix Mobility Solution, XenMobile Does everything become a smartphone? Or does the smartphone begin to do everything? How can we afford to support BYOD? Rather, how can...
- BYOD Happens: How to Secure Mobility How to navigate the journey of securing mobility, including the BYOD corruption of IT, the top ten mobility strategies, and the mobility management...
- Fighting Fraud Videos: IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager Short videos about IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager (IIM) for Fraud. IIM optimizes the investigation of fraud for customers across many industries in both...
- All Government IT Webcasts
Does your organization offer extensive benefits, cool perks, competitive salaries, opportunities for training and advancement? Then get it recognized!
Nominate your company or another deserving organization for Computerworld's 2014 Best Places to Work in IT list now through Dec. 20, 2013.