IDG News Service - PayPal is halting personal payment services for users in Japan from Wednesday due to new regulations that go into force the following day.
"We wish to inform you that effective 31 March 2010, you will not be able to send funds using the 'Send Money' function for noncommercial transactions only, until further notice," the company wrote in an e-mail to users in Japan. "The changes to our personal payment services are necessary in order for us to comply with new regulatory requirements in Japan."
Commercial payments, for example to companies for goods bought online, are not affected, PayPal said. Personal payments from outside of Japan to users inside the country will also continue.
PayPal is being forced to temporarily discontinue its services while it applies for a government license to offer money transfer services between individuals, said Atsuko Minatoya, a spokeswoman for PayPal Japan.
Such services hadn't been regulated until now but a new money transfer law will enter into force on April 1. The law is intended to help open up the sector but also requires that companies seek registration, she said.
The move to halt personal payment services is a temporary blow to PayPal, which two weeks ago said it plans to double its Asian operations this year and hire an additional 1,000 employees. PayPal manages operations in seven Asian nations, including Japan, from headquarters in Singapore and last year saw the regional volume of payments it handled jump 38 percent to US$6 billion.
But the year hasn't started smoothly. In February, PayPal stopped processing personal payments in India and allowing withdrawals in Indian rupees. The Reserve Bank of India says PayPal needs authorization to operate a cross-border money transfer service under local laws and doesn't have one.
Rupee withdrawals have resumed but personal payments are still suspended.
PayPal did not provide an estimate for when personal remittance services would resume in Japan.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5
- This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms
- In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Migrate Oracle Apps from RISC/UNIX to Virtualized x86
- Ready to move Oracle to a virtualized environment? This brief explains how true converged infrastructure can help you migrate from a RISC/UNIX environment...
- Step Out of the Bull's-Eye
- Learn about the evolution of targeted attacks, the latest in security intelligence, and strategic steps to keep your business safe. All Government IT White Papers
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- All Government IT Webcasts