Cities, towns go gaga to gain Google's super-fast networks
IDG News Service - Local governments and residents have until tonight to nominate their communities for consideration in Google's plan to build "ultra-high-speed" fiber networks in some places in the U.S.
Since opening up the nomination process on Feb. 10, Google has received suggestions from more than 600 municipalities and from more than 190,000 individuals, the company said today.
The response has far exceeded Google's expectations and reinforces the main thrust behind the initiative, said product manager James Kelly in an official blog post.
"If one message has come through loud and clear, it's this: people across the country are hungry for better and faster Internet access," he said.
Google also praised the "creativity" of some participants. For example, in order to attract Google's attention, Sarasota Mayor Richard Clapp swam with sharks, while Greenville, S.C., held an evening rally where participants spelled "Google" with LED glow sticks.
Once the nominations window closes tonight at 8 Eastern Time, Google will evaluate the submissions in the coming months, visit some communities and meet with local government representatives and with other organizations.
Google expects to announce the chosen community or communities by the end of 2010.
The goal is to deliver 1GBbit/sec. connections to homes at "competitive" prices, covering between 50,000 and 500,000 people.
Better and faster Internet access is necessary for next-generation Internet services and applications, according to Google, which plans to establish an open access model to its network, so that subscribers have multiple options in service providers.
Nominations can be made online by going to this Web site.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts