IDG News Service - British newspapers The Times and the Sunday Times will charge for content on their Web sites, a move following other major papers seeking to profit from online readers amid falling print revenues.
The papers, which now have one combined Web site, will be split into two sites: thetimes.co.uk and thesundaytimes.co.uk. Starting in June, readers can purchase one-day access for £1 (US$1.50) or a week's access for £2. Print subscribers will get free access to both sites, according to The Times.
Both papers are owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., which also owns The Wall Street Journal. Murdoch has supported introducing pay walls and plans to do the same for two other newspapers, The Sun and The News of the World.
Times Editor James Harding told Sky News that online journalism is not worthless. Despite free newspapers and free content on the Internet, people will pay for quality information. "For that, I think people will come to our papers," he said.
Le Monde in France said earlier this week it will begin charging for some content on March 29. It will offer a package subscription to its Web site, print edition and access to content via Apple's iPhone. That will cost €19.90 (US$26.46) per month for the first three months, then €29.90 per month. Access to the paper solely through the iPhone will cost €15 (US$19.95) per month.
Newspapers have struggled with generating new revenue as readership of print editions has fallen along with advertising revenue. But publishers have been reluctant to embrace a pay model for fear of driving readers away to competitors with free content.
Some newspapers, such as the Financial Times, are experimenting with models where a certain number of stories can be read for free before readers hit the pay wall. The New York Times said in January it will offer a limited number of free stories to readers in January 2011 and charge a flat rate for unlimited access.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts