Game on: WiMax will battle LTE in the trenches
Clearwire CEO William Morrow, also speaking to the CTIA crowd, urged other carriers adopting LTE to interoperate with WiMax. "We have the opportunity to converge [WiMax and LTE]," Morrow said. "Let's work together and go forward."
He noted that Intel and Vodafone, among other companies, "all believe the time is now to integrate this and move forward."
Morrow also noted that chip maker Beceem Communications recently announced a chip that supports both WiMax and LTE.
Verizon and AT&T representatives' responses to questions at CTIA about whether they would be willing to allow future devices to work over both LTE and WiMax were less than encouraging.
A spokesman for Verizon said that interoperability was "not something we are looking at."
But Glenn Lurie, AT&T's president of emerging devices, was more blunt, saying that even though AT&T was wirelessly enabling all types of devices, not just smartphones, WiMax was not in the mix. "At AT&T, it's all about Wi-Fi. We're not supporting WiMax," he said.
ABI analyst Kevin Burden said it might make some sense for AT&T and other LTE carriers to interoperate with WiMax, at least in terms of a dual chipset in devices that will work on both standards. "What's it going to cost to add WiMax capability to a phone? Maybe $10?" Burden said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
CTIA Wireless 2010
- Innovative wireless products shine at CTIA 2010
- Kobo announces $149 e-reader to be sold by Borders
- 3D, Twitter SMS the future of phones, execs say
- Nokia sees Symbian phones as key to winning U.S. market
- Game on: WiMax will battle LTE in the trenches
- Hands on with the Galaxy S and EVO smartphones
- HTC EVO 4G seen as next bet in Sprint's WiMax gamble
- Sprint unveils its HTC EVO 4G smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy S will have 4-inch screen
- Sprint expected to unveil HTC Supersonic on Tuesday
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts