Two Madoff computer admins indicted
Pair charge accused falsifying financial records
Computerworld - Two former computer administrators who worked for convicted financial fraudster Bernard Madoff's investment firm were indicted this week on charges of conspiracy and falsifying financial records.
Jerome O'Hara, 47, of Malverne, N.Y., and George Perez , 44, of East Brunswick, N.J., each face a maximum of 30 years in prison if convicted on all charges.
A statement released yesterday by the U.S. Attorney's office for the Southern District of New York said the two men started working for Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities, LLC (BLMIS) in the early 1990s. Both O'Hara and Perez were responsible for maintaining computer programs that supported Madoff's investment advisory business.
Between 2003 and 2008, Madoff's company's books were reviewed five times by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and a European accounting firm that was conducting a review of the company on behalf of a European client.
O'Hara and Perez are alleged to have helped Madoff and his aide, Frank DiPascali, generate "numerous false and fraudulent records" to deceive investigators during the reviews.
Both men are alleged to have known that the "special programs" they developed were generating fraudulent information, the statement said.
Madoff is serving a 150-year prison term after pleading guilty to running a massive Ponzi scheme that bilked investors out of billions of dollars over a period of several years.
DiPascali, who pleaded guilty to helping Madoff in the scheme, is awaiting sentencing. He faces up to 125 years in prison.
Jaikumar Vijayan covers data security and privacy issues, financial services security and e-voting for Computerworld. Follow Jaikumar on Twitter at @jaivijayan or subscribe to Jaikumar's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Mitigating Security Risks at the Networks Edge This white paper provides strategies and best practices for distributed enterprises to protect their networks against vulnerabilities, threats, and malicious attacks.
- 5 Strategies for Modern Data Protection Read the five strategies for modern data protection that will not only help solve your current data management challenges but also ensure that...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!