IDG News Service - Users of popular micro-blogging service Twitter were unable to access the site for almost 30 minutes late Wednesday.
A "general site outage" took Twitter down for 27 minutes from just after 11 p.m. ET.
Visitors to the site were greeted with the "Fail Whale," an illustration of a whale used by Twitter to signify the site is over capacity, or a message advising a technical fault before access returned at 11:30 p.m.
"We’re now recovering from this unplanned downtime," Twitter said in a status message. "We apologize for the interruption in service."
The glitch pushed up Twitter's downtime this month to 41 minutes, according to Pingdom, a site that measures reliability of access to Web sites.
That's almost double the downtime recorded during March last year but still some way off August 2009, Twitter's worst month in the last year, when the site was down for a total of more than 6 hours.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts