Sprint expected to unveil HTC Supersonic on Tuesday
WiMax phone to have 4.3-inch display, Android 2.1 with Sense UI (see video, below)
Computerworld - Sprint Nextel is expected to unveil the Supersonic by HTC, the first phone for Sprint's WiMax network, at the CTIA wireless conference next week.
Sprint has been expected to launch its first WiMax device for a while, and many analysts feel it has a limited window to do so, with Verizon Wireless planning to launch LTE high-speed wireless service in 25 or more cities late this year, with an LTE phone available in 2011.
AT&T is also building an LTE network, with trials expected later this year.
AndroidMobileOS has a posted a course-quality video of the Supersonic, with somebody wearing black gloves showing off the nameplate for the device and its camera and speaker, but little else (see below).
Sprint CEO Dan Hesse is expected to launch the new Supersonic device in his keynote address at the CTIA Wireless show on Tuesday, the Wall Street Journal reported, quoting unnamed sources. (Paid subscription required.)
Phil Cusick, an analyst at Macquarie Securities, also said today in a report that he expects the Sprint launch next week. He said that Sprint will be paying Clearwire a fee for every WiMax customer.
Clearwire runs the WiMax services on the Clear network, but Sprint is a major investor in the network.
Sprint and Clearwire could not be reached for comment immediately.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
CTIA Wireless 2010
- Innovative wireless products shine at CTIA 2010
- Kobo announces $149 e-reader to be sold by Borders
- 3D, Twitter SMS the future of phones, execs say
- Nokia sees Symbian phones as key to winning U.S. market
- Game on: WiMax will battle LTE in the trenches
- Hands on with the Galaxy S and EVO smartphones
- HTC EVO 4G seen as next bet in Sprint's WiMax gamble
- Sprint unveils its HTC EVO 4G smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy S will have 4-inch screen
- Sprint expected to unveil HTC Supersonic on Tuesday
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!