Facebook hits milestone, tops Google for a week
For week of March 13, Facebook surpassed Google as most-visited U.S. Web site
Facebook was the most-visited Web site in the country for the week ending March 13, said Hitwise, an online traffic monitor, in a report today. While Google has returned to the top spot, Matt Tatham, a Hitwise spokesman, said grabbing that position for a whole week was a major milestone for Facebook.
For the week that Facebook was No. 1, with 7.07% of all U.S. visits, Google was right behind the social networking site, with 7.03%, Hitwise noted. Rounding out the top five was Yahoo Mail, with 3.80%; Yahoo's main site, with 3.67%; and YouTube, with 2.14%.
"One reason for Facebook's success is the features that make it easy to share information and online content with friends," Tatham told Computerworld. "This content sharing is making it the first destination for people going online."
Google has long been firmly entrenched in the top spot. The search giant has been consistently the most-visited U.S. Web site since the week ending Sept. 15, 2007, when it surpassed the previous traffic leader, MySpace, according to Tatham.
Facebook has been making inroads, though.
Hitwise reported that Facebook outpaced Google this past Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. However, this month was the first time that the site held the top position for a full week.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!