Sidebar: IDG Marks 40 Years Under Founding Leadership, Too
Computerworld - Just nine days before Peter Harris founded ADPAC, Patrick J. McGovern on Feb. 26, 1964, founded International Data Group, Computerworld's parent company. Boston-based IDG, now a global IT publishing and market research firm, is also celebrating 40 years under its founding leadership, with McGovern serving as its chairman.
McGovern spoke with Computerworld last week and shared his perspective on the outlook for the IT community. Excerpts follow:
Do you think offshore outsourcing will have a net positive impact or a negative impact on the U.S. IT industry? Outsourcing will definitely be a benefit to the U.S. IT industry. Outsourcing reflects the globalization of labor. It will take several decades, but eventually there will be equal pay for equal work all over the world. It is only fair that human beings are rewarded for their work in comparable ways. This process will allow the IT industry to benefit from the most skilled people available at the most competitive rates of compensation.
What is your advice to college-age students who are considering pursuing a degree in computer science but are wary about their employment prospects? I definitely would encourage college-age students to pursue a degree in computer science. Although the market has slowed down in the last three years because of the bursting of the Internet bubble, it is now entering a growth phase, which should continue for the next 12 to 15 years.
Currently, the worldwide IT market is about $1.3 trillion, and it will grow to $3 trillion by 2020. The 1 billion users of IT devices and systems today will grow to 3 billion users by 2020, virtually 50% of the world population. This will create great employment opportunities for IT professionals in the years ahead.
What single quality has your experience shown to be the most important one for an IT professional to possess in order to be successful? I've found that there are actually two. One is the ability to relate well with their clients so that they can set expectations that are closely matched to achievable reality. The other is persistence -- never getting discouraged or giving up, but pushing ahead to get to a successful conclusion.
Patrick J. McGovern, founder of International Data Group
Read more about App Development in Computerworld's App Development Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts