EMC offers de-duplication, thin provisioning for VMware on Celerra
New plug-ins are free with current maintenance agreements
Computerworld - EMC Corp. today announced an upgrade to the management software on its Celerra network-attached storage (NAS) arrays that will allow administrators to apply de-duplication, thin provisioning and business continuity tools to data stored in VMware environments.
EMC's new Celerra Plug-Ins for VMware Environments adds several new capabilities, including an automated fail-back process for VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager software. When one offsite Celerra array fails, it automatically fails over to another Celerra array -- either at the same site or in the primary data center.
EMC had previously been offering the upgrades for Fibre Channel and iSCSI storage-area networks (SAN), but it is now offering those capabilities for Network File System (NFS) protocol environments, too.
Brad Bunce, director of unified storage marketing at EMC, said the free upgrades also allow storage de-duplication for individual virtual machines, reducing by as much as 50% the amount of storage required on the Celerra arrays supporting them.
"When you deploy VMware over Celerra, an administrator can select which machines should be configured in compressed mode and which should run in full-sized mode," Bunce said. "The greater flexibility is that a VMware administrator can also selectively uncompress VMware data stores as well."
The new plug-ins also allow for thin provisioning -- the ability to add storage capacity as an application requires it -- as well as data-cloning, or snapshots of virtual data stores on Celerra, Bunce said. "People like to do clones of virtual machines for tests," he said. "So when you want to deploy a thousand new virtual machines through cloning... that's a couple of hours of time saved."
The plug-ins also automate the fail-back process for VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager software in NFS environments, which is unique to the industry.
The EMC Celerra Plug-Ins for VMware Environments are available for download to EMC Celerra customers with current maintenance arrangements. All enhancements are available from EMC, Dell Inc. and authorized partners.
In addition, customers leveraging the new Celerra software can work with EMC Global Services to accelerate their VMware deployments with the help of EMC's consulting, implementation, residency and education services.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts