Verizon Wireless confirms data outage
Blames defective software for outage that hits some eastern U.S. users this morning
Computerworld - Verizon Wireless has confirmed that data service outages affected eastern U.S. customers for up to four hours early today.
The company blamed the outage, which affected some users between 4 a.m. and 8 a.m. EST today, on defective software in one of its data centers.
In an e-mail, a Verizon Wireless spokesman said some users experienced outages, some were hit with service slowdowns and others were not affected at all.
"We found the problem in one of our centers, switched out the software and are now doing [a] root cause investigation," the spokesman said.
Verizon Wireless notified customers via Twitter at about 9:45 a.m. that the issue had been resolved by 8 a.m.
The spokesman did not say how many users were affected by the outage.
Verizon said that the problems did not affect its voice service.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, send e-mail to email@example.com or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed .
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts