IBM to lay off 400-plus workers, alliance says
Employee group blames cutbacks on an IBM shift to offshore work
Computerworld - IBM has issued layoff notices to more than 400 workers, according to the Alliance@IBM/CWA Local 1701, an employee organization that has been the principal source of layoff information at the company.
The Alliance's online job cuts board was abuzz today with news from employees, all anonymous, who had received layoff notices.
The Alliance gets some of the paperwork involved in the layoffs and can typically pinpoint the number of job cuts. The layoff count is expected to grow beyond 400, said Lee Conrad, national coordinator of the Alliance.
IBM never comments on its job actions other than to say, as it did today, that it is a result of a remixing of "our skills and structure to meet the changing needs of our clients."
Conrad blames the cuts on a shift to offshore work. IBM has been reducing its U.S. workforce -- according to latest available numbers the company now employs 105,000 U.S. workers, versus 115,000 a year ago. It has been increasing its percentage of overseas employees.
The company employs about 400,000 globally.
Employees may be eventually be eligible for help under the Trade Act of 1974.
In a notice published last month in the Federal Register, the U.S. Department Labor said that IBM global services employees who were laid off in an earlier job action are eligible for assistance under the act.
That help kicks in based on a number of trade-connected issues, including "a shift by the workers' firm to a foreign country in the production of articles or supply of services like or directly competitive with those produced/supplied by the workers' firm."
Patrick Thibodeau covers SaaS and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed .
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.