Network World - CA Inc. announced today that it plans to acquire for an undisclosed sum a 3Tera, a move that industry watchers say will equip the management software maker with tools to offer customers a smoother transition to private and public cloud computing.
The third in a string of acquisitions CA says target its cloud computing plans, 3Tera would provide CA with its AppLogic suite, which helps customer encapsulate applications into containers suited for private and public cloud environments, says Jay Fry, vice president of business unit strategy for CA. CA acquired Cassatt last summer and Oblicore earlier this year, and the company cited cloud ambitions at the time of those separate deals.
"The most interesting thing about 3Tera is their ability to give both service providers and enterprises a way to take existing applications and bring them to private and public cloud environments via an elegant interface. The process used to be done very manually, but AppLogic automates it and smooths that transition," Fry explains.
CA executives expect the acquisition to close within "a few weeks, with no particular date set."
Industry watchers say the acquisition will benefit CA. For example, it isn't directly about IT management software – yet. 3Tera will help CA get into cloud enablement, opening the door for new cloud and management customers in the enterprise. 3Tera has 20 or so service provider clients.
3Tera's AppLogic will become a platform for CA to sell management tools, not only to service providers but also to their customers," says James Staten, principal analyst at Forrester Research. "CA will start to sell this technology to enterprises that will be ready to convert internal virtual infrastructure into cloud environments, and then following a big degree of integration with CA's existing products, CA will be ready to provide management technology for the cloud, against emerging competitors such as VMware."
There are some questions around 3Teral, however, including the company's limited virtualization platform support and 3Tera's size.
"There are challenges – 3Tera is very small, this market is just emerging and 3Tera only works with Xen today, which is fine for the service provider market, but the enterprise market mostly uses VMware," says Donna Scott, vice president and distinguished analyst at Gartner.
Vince Re, senior vice president and chief architect at CA, says the company is aware of the virtual infrastructure support limitations and intends to move quickly to add VMware as well as Microsoft's Hyper-V to its list of supported platforms.
"One of the first things we will do is expand [support] to include VMware," Re says.
Do you Tweet? Follow Denise Dubie on Twitter here. http://twitter.com/DDubie
Read more about data center in Network World's Data Center section.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts