U.S. says IT firm underpaid H-1B workers
Labor Department seeks $1.9M in back wages and penalty payment from N.J. company
Computerworld - The U.S. Department of Labor is alleging that a Newark, N.J., software company, Peri Software Solutions Inc., underpaid its tech workers on H-1B visas and owes some $1.45 million in back wages to 163 people.
The Labor Department is also seeking to hit Peri with a $439,000 civil penalty and a two-year debarment from the H-1B program. About 20 H-1B employers are on the department's current list of debarred organizations.
Peri officials are not commenting on the action, but Labor Department spokeswoman Leni Fortson said the company is seeking an administrative hearing to challenge the finding.
"Everything is contingent upon the outcome of the administrative hearing," she said.
In a statement, U.S. Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis said that the company's alleged actions "demonstrate the kind of abuses that our laws are designed to prevent. "Every worker deserves to be paid for his or her work, and the Labor Department is committed to holding those companies that violate our nation's labor laws accountable."
Specifically, Labor Department investigators contend that Peri failed to pay prevailing wages to workers hired under the H-1B program. The company also "forced employees to sign employment contracts and then sued them when contracts were broken," said the Labor Department.
Peri was approved to hire nearly 190 H-1B workers in recent years -- 120 in 2007, 64 in 2008 and three in 2009, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services records.
More broadly, immigration authorities have been increasing enforcement of the H-1B program and demanding more evidence to support visa applications.
Patrick Thibodeau covers SaaS and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov, send e-mail to email@example.com or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed .
- Gates sees software replacing people; Greenspan calls for more H-1Bs
- Use of H-1B alternative skyrockets
- GOP presses ahead on H-1B, green cards with vague, muddy statement
- 5 reasons why your IT job search is getting harder
- Professors warn that grads could face competition from H-1B workers
- Infosys ran 'unlawful' visa scheme, U.S. alleges in settlement
- U.S. set to disclose Infosys visa case resolution
- Infosys prepares U.S. settlement over visa use, as it faces new class action suit
- House Democrats push ahead on immigration, H-1B
- Utility cuts IT workforce, hires Indian outsourcers
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- SDCRAA Case Study: Adapting ERP to business needs This case study goes in depth about San Diego County Regional Airport Authority's created flexibility for a changing industry.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All IT Careers White Papers |