Twitter users send 50 million tweets a day
That's 600 tweets per second
Computerworld - New figures from the folks at Twitter show that people are tweeting furiously.
Three years ago, the microblogging company was handling 5,000 tweets per day, according to Kevin Weil, the analytics lead at Twitter Inc. Since then, though, that number has gone up -- by a lot.
In a blog post on the Twitter site today, Weil said that 50 million tweets are posted every day. That's an average of 600 tweets per second. Weil noted that Twitter strips out the spam tweets before calculating the daily totals.
Twitter use has been steadily climbing.
In 2008, the site was managing 300,000 tweets per day. By early 2009, that figure had grown to 2.5 million per day. Then the volume of Tweets grew by 1,400% to reach 35 million per day by the end of last year.
However, Weil didn't say how many users account for the current 50 million tweets per day. Are the top 10% of users, for instance, responsible for 80% of all tweets? That's not clear.
Just last month, a study from RJMetrics Inc. showed that the number of Twitter users has climbed to 75 million.
The study also showed that a lot of Twitter accounts are inactive and that the number of accounts that sent even one tweet in a given month hit an all-time low in December. According to RJMetrics, only 17% of all Twitter accounts posted tweets in December. That's down from more than 70% in early 2007, when Twitter was a fledgling operation with far fewer users.
Twitter, according to the RJMetrics report, has between 10 million and 15 million active tweeters.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts