Reports: Internet attacks traced to Chinese schools
IDG News Service - Computer security experts investigating Internet attacks on Google and other U.S. companies say computers at Chinese educational institutions may have been involved, according to U.S. media reports.
The attacks may have started as early as April, unnamed sources involved in the investigation told The New York Times, according to a report on its Web site late Thursday. When Google revealed in January that its systems had been attacked, it put the start of the events no earlier than December.
Shanghai Jiaotong University and Lanxiang Vocational School are the two institutions said to be involved in the attacks, the New York Times said, citing several unnamed persons with knowledge of the investigation.
Investigators had previously tracked the attacks back to servers in Taiwan.
However, hackers often disguise their identity by sending commands through a number of computers on their way to a target. Even if further investigation backs up the findings cited in the latest news reports, that may not point to Chinese involvement in the attacks, as the real trail could go back further still. Investigators are still pursuing a number of theories, according to a report on Web site of The Wall Street Journal on Friday.
Google announced on Jan. 12 that attackers had tried to break into the Gmail accounts of Chinese human rights activists. In investigating the attacks, it said, it found other U.S. companies in the Internet, finance, technology, media and chemical sectors had also been attacked.
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!