Reports: Internet attacks traced to Chinese schools
IDG News Service - Computer security experts investigating Internet attacks on Google and other U.S. companies say computers at Chinese educational institutions may have been involved, according to U.S. media reports.
The attacks may have started as early as April, unnamed sources involved in the investigation told The New York Times, according to a report on its Web site late Thursday. When Google revealed in January that its systems had been attacked, it put the start of the events no earlier than December.
Shanghai Jiaotong University and Lanxiang Vocational School are the two institutions said to be involved in the attacks, the New York Times said, citing several unnamed persons with knowledge of the investigation.
Investigators had previously tracked the attacks back to servers in Taiwan.
However, hackers often disguise their identity by sending commands through a number of computers on their way to a target. Even if further investigation backs up the findings cited in the latest news reports, that may not point to Chinese involvement in the attacks, as the real trail could go back further still. Investigators are still pursuing a number of theories, according to a report on Web site of The Wall Street Journal on Friday.
Google announced on Jan. 12 that attackers had tried to break into the Gmail accounts of Chinese human rights activists. In investigating the attacks, it said, it found other U.S. companies in the Internet, finance, technology, media and chemical sectors had also been attacked.
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts