Cisco drops HP as certified reseller, service partner
But Cisco will honor existing HP service contracts
Computerworld - Cisco Systems Inc. today said it will not renew its systems integrator contract with Hewlett-Packard Co., meaning HP it will no longer be a certified reseller or service partner after April 30.
Keith Goodwin, senior vice president of Cisco's Worldwide Partner Organization, said in a webcast that the changing IT landscape, the evolving role of the network and his company's competition with system vendors means it can no longer share partner benefits with HP.
"We're taking this action to be transparent to both partners and customers. We will compete with HP for future business," Goodwin said.
HP also announced today that it has expanded a storage switch reseller contract with QLogic Corp., a product area typically filled by Cisco.
Cisco recently started competing with systems vendors like HP by coming out with its own blade server offering.
In the webcast, Goodwin took a swipe at HP, saying the company no longer "aligns" with its "network-centric vision." Eighty percent of Cisco's business is done through channel reseller partners, and 12,000 of those are certified partners -- meaning their products have been pretested to work with Cisco equipment.
"We continuously evaluate our partner relationships. As the role of the network continues to grow, it is creating new opportunities for Cisco and our partners but it's also changing the dynamics of the industry," he said. "Over the last few years, our relationship with HP has evolved from a partner to companies with different and conflicting visions of how to deliver value to our customers."
Because of its more adversarial relationship with HP, Goodwin said Cisco no longer feels comfortable sharing proprietary information such as product road maps and reseller initiatives with HP. "We've already reached out to HP to begin the discussion around a new agreement that ensures business continuity for existing customers, but better reflects the current state of our relationship," he said.
Cisco will continue to honor its current customer service contracts with HP until they expire, and Goodwin said the company will continue to work with HP where customers "expect it and where it makes sense for our business."
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts